Just bought an 87 with 59K... think I know why it has so few miles on it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I wouldn't be hurt over the deal if I were you. His eBay does say a 3 month/3000 mile warranty. But even if that was not included in your deal, you're still OK. I'm a firm believer in, a vehicle sitting for many years can have just as many things needing attention as one with a ton of miles. It needs a fine tooth comb going over. Belts, Hoses can be dry rotted, fuel filter could have gotten soggy and collapsed inside which is likely your issue as Jim pointed out. Could also have some dry rotted fuel line or evap hoses that can get an air leak and hurt the fuel pump efficientcy etc. I'd go over all that kind of stuff, even flush the brake fluid. Then I'd run some Sea Foam thru the fuel tank and crankcase to clean the internals you can't get to. Once you get all that done, you're going to have a real nice dependable vehicle. I wouldn't be expecting anything major wrong.

Yup...wouldnt hurt to change the rear end fluid and re pack the front wheel bearings too.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Something I have always done, When dealing with a vehicle that is not running/performing correctly is to, get it tuned up and running like it should before making any major modifications, such as a different carb, distributor, etc. When doing it this way, if it does`nt function as it should, You then know that there are not oither issues to deal with as it was performing as it should before You started the modifications.
The TBI is a very good system, it might take some time to get it all sorted out but, after it is doing what it does You will then like it very much. LOL 5 to 6 thousand miles for an oil change as compared to the carbed engine of every 3 thousand, the oil stays cleaner and the fuelk mileages is better too and, off the line they do perform very well.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Something I have always done, When dealing with a vehicle that is not running/performing correctly is to, get it tuned up and running like it should before making any major modifications, such as a different carb, distributor, etc. When doing it this way, if it does`nt function as it should, You then know that there are not oither issues to deal with as it was performing as it should before You started the modifications.
The TBI is a very good system, it might take some time to get it all sorted out but, after it is doing what it does You will then like it very much. LOL 5 to 6 thousand miles for an oil change as compared to the carbed engine of every 3 thousand, the oil stays cleaner and the fuelk mileages is better too and, off the line they do perform very well.

yup...an artist does'nt start with a used canvas.

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
Thanks again for all the reassuring advice, guys. While I am new to this type of truck, I have grown up around cars (my dad owns an autobody shop). I know what they are supposed to look like, just not super savvy with how they get running right.
89Suburban, there is *NO* rust on it anywhere, not the deep stuff anyhow. Just some light surface rust on a couple spots on the frame and suspension. Looks as though it was in a garage in the suburbs and only came out for weekly runs to the garden center or something.
As an update, I got it back from the dealer today, who said he towed it to his mechanic, and they found that it wasn't the fuel pump but rather the fuel GAUGE that had gone bad. The thing was out of gas, apparently. So it is now home with me, waiting to go to MY mechanic who will give it a proper, non "Used Car Salesman" once over.
Seriously... the more I drive this, the more impressed I am with how original and solid it is.
Funny you should say that, Jim. My brother and I run a blog, www.beatnikbrotherhood.com where we draw and discuss various hot rod and custom vehicles... and I am having a hard time imagining what I should/could do to this to improve upon the look of it. It's a survivor and I almost can't bring myself to alter it in any permanent way. Almost.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks again for all the reassuring advice, guys. While I am new to this type of truck, I have grown up around cars (my dad owns an autobody shop). I know what they are supposed to look like, just not super savvy with how they get running right.
89Suburban, there is *NO* rust on it anywhere, not the deep stuff anyhow. Just some light surface rust on a couple spots on the frame and suspension. Looks as though it was in a garage in the suburbs and only came out for weekly runs to the garden center or something.
As an update, I got it back from the dealer today, who said he towed it to his mechanic, and they found that it wasn't the fuel pump but rather the fuel GAUGE that had gone bad. The thing was out of gas, apparently. So it is now home with me, waiting to go to MY mechanic who will give it a proper, non "Used Car Salesman" once over.
Seriously... the more I drive this, the more impressed I am with how original and solid it is.
Funny you should say that, Jim. My brother and I run a blog, www.beatnikbrotherhood.com where we draw and discuss various hot rod and custom vehicles... and I am having a hard time imagining what I should/could do to this to improve upon the look of it. It's a survivor and I almost can't bring myself to alter it in any permanent way. Almost.

imo, the best look for it is stock.

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
Yea.... the stock paint is boss and a roof rack would not only look cool but come in handy. Thinking a slightly lowered stance. (we are used to station wagon height, and I think it might help with the "This thing drives like a boat!" reactions) I'm sure I will need to start another thread to ask about the pros/cons of that, though. The only other thing I am thinking is some light tint for the kid's sake, though I like the old skool look of no tint. Perhaps also some LED taillights that retain the stock lenses....

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OOOHHHHHhhh BOYyyy, can You say " Zombie Rig " ??? :rocking::insane::biggun::anitoof:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yea.... the stock paint is boss and a roof rack would not only look cool but come in handy. Thinking a slightly lowered stance. (we are used to station wagon height, and I think it might help with the "This thing drives like a boat!" reactions) I'm sure I will need to start another thread to ask about the pros/cons of that, though. The only other thing I am thinking is some light tint for the kid's sake, though I like the old skool look of no tint. Perhaps also some LED taillights that retain the stock lenses....

Nahhh....even stock height.
Little custom touches like LED. lighting is cool.

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
Another update. My mechanic couldn't get it started this morning.... until he had someone hammer on the gas tank and jolt the fuel pump into action. Said it could be hit or miss on wanting to start... so back to the dealer it goes on Monday. He had already agreed to replace the fuel pump (had one ordered and on hand, apparently.) when his guy told him it only needed gas.

My guy said that beyond that, it's in pretty good shape. Needs a basic tune up and wheel bearings and tires at some point. Hardest part he said is there is some rust around bolts and such that will make it harder to work on if anything does go wrong, but overall a good buy.

Impulsion has been vindicated!

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeporcenaluk/9010763131/

Here *it* is! (Not sure if it's male or female yet) The Blue 'Burban. Thinking it might be the Beatnic 'Burban (Notice the plate, from my ol' Volvo. http://www.flickr.com/photos/324478...Lz9-HhLAq-HhLCw-HhQvT-HFYwu-HG4K2-MtGdB-MtGgt)

Turns out, it WAS just out of gas. (When the dealer's mechanic charged him $20 for gas, I assumed he put $20 of gas in it, which SHOULD have gotten it across town and back... but he overcharged him for the little bit of gas he put in, and then i apparently used it up on my 1 mile drive across town to my mechanic) Doesn't bode well for my gas consumption... but either way, It's mine now. I'm getting my work truck back sometime this week (another ol' gas guzzler, but at least I don't fill that one up) so the 'Burban will just be a back-up for when my wife has the Outback at work.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Try to keep at least 1/4 tank in it, the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. Funny about your gas gauge situation, I've 3 Burbs that still have 5 to 8 gallons in them when they are empty. Must be something about the sending units used in the 40 gallon tanks. Blazer tanks and truck saddle tanks seem to be empty when they say empty.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I second that about the truck tanks Bucket lol

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
What I'm wondering is why has this thread gone 2 pages and no pics have been posted yet!

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
There are links to pictures... I'm kind of forum stupid when it comes to posting pics. I tried the "insert" picture (Mountains and sun icon) but when I copied the link to my flickr image, it came up blank....

I have owned the truck a week now and have only been driving it back and forth between the mechanic and dealer, trying to get this fuel situation squared away. I was convinced the guy was trying to pawn a lemon on me.... put a little gas in it, bang on the tank to get it running and then send it back out the door. I don't want it breaking down on me again at night with two little kids in the back... so I was leery of taking his word on it. Took it to my mechanic, figured I wouldn't put any more gas in if he had to take the tank out to replace the fuel pump.... guess I should have. lol.

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL