Just bought an 87 with 59K... think I know why it has so few miles on it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
Saw an amazing deal on a spotless 87 Suburban, 350 2wd at a local used car lot. Only 59,000 miles, body and engine bay look practically factory... all original, right down to the dry rotted tires.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...ake_modelASC&resultCar=324732849&cardist=5547

After a few days of deliberations and a short test drive around the block, I took the day off work and bought it, AS IS. After he put the plates on it, he says to me, "It's dogging down a little bit, but honestly, it just needs the cobwebs run out of her..."

Took it 1/4 mile down the road to buy her some new wipers and some cleaning supplies (That seemed like all it needed!) Turned the A/C on to see how cold it got... and ended up with coolant spewing all over the carpet and onto the ground... So I called them back, took it back, he said that yes... it was most likely the heater-core and he could take a look at it when i had time. Topped off the coolant and I went on my way.

Ran great around town, so I loaded up the kiddo's, hit the carwash, and then the park for a celebratory joy-ride. Went to get back in, and it wouldn't roll over. Battery.... (Ok... It's sat at the lot a while, I didn't drive it enough to charge, whatever.)

Renewed my AAA, who sent out a battery tech.... he tried doing a system test, said the battery was dead. Got him to put a new one in ($120!, but I had the kids with me and it was getting dark, what can I do?) That started it right up and idled great.

Clipped the kiddo's back in, and got back on the road. As soon as I put a load on it, it died down. Didn't quite stall, but didn't give any juice either. Pumped the gas, nothing. It was idling/coasting, no power. I could throw it in N, restart the key and it would fire/rev up, then die back down. I got across a small bridge, but then it was uphill. Nothing.

I know I should have taken it to a mechanic FIRST to have it gone over, and then again AFTER I bought it... but lust does some crazy things to a man. So here I sit, with a borrowed car and my *new* truck towed back to the dealer. Any ideas?

Thanks!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Link is not showing the truck, got any pics? :)

Sounds like its been sitting around and everything is dry rotted and gummed up etc. Sucks about the heater core. They are a bitch to replace. I'm guessing you are having fuel pump issues unless there is bad gas in it from sitting. Shame you got no history on it from the previous owner.

I see you are from pa. :) I'm supposed to be meeting another member here out in Carlisle this month for a parts swap meet if you are interested in anything for the Burb.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
fuel filter....cheap and easy, and will cause the symptoms.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yay

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
Yeah.. I'd throw my vote in with that its a fuel supply issue. Gummed up filter or pump or something along those lines.

Cars/Trucks are made to be driven.. hah. They just don't act right if they sit too long. I'm always sad for a vehicle that the owner doesn't drive because they want to keep the "low mileage."

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies and reassurance, guys. There is always that moment of buyer's remorse when something like this happens... especially when I'm sure, deep down, my wife wasn't thrilled that I traded our old Subie wagon in on a gas guzzling zipcode on wheels. I stopped and talked to the dealer about it, and he is going to get it running again for me today after I explained that I realize I bought it "AS IS" but i also expected to at least get it across town...

I guess they already pulled it from their online inventory and that's why the link didn't work, here is the ebay post. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...rs_Trucks&hash=item4ac36a6a48#ht_12680wt_1165

89Suburban, Yes, I live right in Carlisle. Grew up in Titusville, PA, and would make the 5 hour trek each year for the Import show... now I can take my boys to any show I have time for! It's pretty great. Would be cool to meet up and at least have some shop talk since this is my first Big 3 beast...

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Wow that thing is awesome, with some tlc I'm sure it will be a great ride!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's very nice! :) How does it look under the rear body and the rear inner wheel wells? That's where the cancer starts to eat these things. We'll show ya how to fix that saggy headliner for 30 bucks too. if I get out that way I'll let ya know.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Sounds like a few of the many things that can go wrong with any older car, no big deal. Any time I get one I check the fuel system, brakes, steering, suspension, ignition, fluids...

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
2 things people do instead of figuring out how to fix a vehicle..1)trade it in, or 2) rip everything off and stick an Edelbrock carburetor on.

This should be a fairly easy fix, and its in great condition. I just hope you didnt give the 5k for it.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
.... 2) rip everything off and stick an Edelbrock carburetor on.

while I find this funny, I still would rather have an Edelbrock than my Holley 4175.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
2 things people do instead of figuring out how to fix a vehicle..1)trade it in, or 2) rip everything off and stick an Edelbrock carburetor on.

This should be a fairly easy fix, and its in great condition. I just hope you didnt give the 5k for it.

The PO of my truck was guilty of #2...except he used a Holley...and was too lazy to hook up the choke cable.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wouldn't be hurt over the deal if I were you. His eBay does say a 3 month/3000 mile warranty. But even if that was not included in your deal, you're still OK. I'm a firm believer in, a vehicle sitting for many years can have just as many things needing attention as one with a ton of miles. It needs a fine tooth comb going over. Belts, Hoses can be dry rotted, fuel filter could have gotten soggy and collapsed inside which is likely your issue as Jim pointed out. Could also have some dry rotted fuel line or evap hoses that can get an air leak and hurt the fuel pump efficientcy etc. I'd go over all that kind of stuff, even flush the brake fluid. Then I'd run some Sea Foam thru the fuel tank and crankcase to clean the internals you can't get to. Once you get all that done, you're going to have a real nice dependable vehicle. I wouldn't be expecting anything major wrong.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The PO of my truck was guilty of #2...except he used a Holley...and was too lazy to hook up the choke cable.

Holley would be the proper choice in a non emissions situation, and if a Q jet could not be sourced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg