Jumpy oil pressure gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Every once in a while the gauge will start bouncing around like it's an electrical thing. Most times it's steady and rock solid, then it will start getting jitters. Both under power and at idle. Is this a sign of a bad sending unit. Other than that all is well and the engine performance is solid, oil topped up. Will AT205 leak stopper create a problem in the sending unit? They say it wont, but could this cause a jumpy gauge? It's the only thing I can think of, all connections are good.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
It works properly, just gets jumpy sometimes. Going to change the oil and see if the gauge still acts funny. I'll do the ground test on it. If it keeps it up I'll just swap out the sender.

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The sender on these trucks was prone to failure. I'm not much on throwing parts at a problem, but it's a pretty safe bet. Also, make sure the plug wires aren't routed to close to the sender wiring. Good lock!

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Mine has off and on given odd reading at different times because the spade connector not being tight on the terminal of the sender and it's wiggling. Should be a snug fit on the terminal.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
mine has gotten jumpy from time to time at higher revolutions.

flutters from 30psi to 60psi rather than 30 to 0 (low)

when i 'mess' with the wire at the sender, it usually goes away for a couple months.
:)

the wire does find it's way near the plug wires/distributor.

good luck!

'monkey

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Mine would do that sometimes as well until I replaced the sensor. Reads better and doesn't jump around. I suppose it could also be the gauge itself given the age of the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia