Is it harmful to drive in "2" for long periods of time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
My buddy's wife took his Toyota (serves him right) to see her folks. When she came home after the weekend she casually mentioned the truck sounded "kinda funny". She drove 4 hrs in 4x4 low, at speeds around 60 mph. ****** his engine, it was rattling and almost no oil left in it.

My oldest daughter did something similar with my old Blazer...

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
OP MUST BE BANNED.

Unless he tells us why he wants to run in D2 all the time.

How many signatures do we need??? :patriot:

:ban::ban::ban:

I'm done here.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The owner's manual stated driving in 2 is for instances when "increased engine braking is desired" or something to that effect. If your desktop will load it faster than my celly, be my guest. I've tried more than once.

Additionally, in personal experience, I have driven a LOT, pretty fast, and for a LONG TIME in second gear to no ill effect.
Remember me sayin the trans in my Camaro wouldn't act right? I drove that car around short trips to work and back - through the SUMMER- for 3 or 4 MONTHS in second gear...no ill effect.

My SS will almost clear a quarter in second gear. That's full throttle in second gear, very severe duty, for better than a decade. It'll do 80 in 2nd. Ask me how I know.

OP did not specify at a given time, or if he intended an extended duration. Regardless, my answer does not change.

The shift indicator / gear selector ALLOWS second gear AT WILL, UNDER WARRANTY.

Groaner's manual continues to talk about limiting top speed, driving up and down mountains, inclement weather driving and etcetera.

I can only recall instances when the General overtly supports driving in second gear, however I am unable to recall an instance when the operator is warned against it. Needless to say I do not believe that would pad my argument any, so i'll not search for OPINIONS what contradict mine, too deftly or with great vigor.

In the spirit of being "fair and balanced" , I am certain one can find definitive informations in the OWNER'S MANUAL.
Try this link:

https://justgivemethedamnmanual.com...l.pdf&download=true&print=true&openfile=false

In conclusion, the above is a generalized summary of MY OPINION.
I do not claim to know the "correct answer" , or if such a thing even exists.

Welcome to the internet.
You can't see me, Marcus.

Last edited:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Sadly it's not a rare occurance.

Nope, had an ex gf that did it to a Lumina too. Thank God my youngest has more sense than any of them. Once in a while she will put Bertha in 2nd but knows to put it in third when she doesn't feel her shift.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Thanks all for responding; i will respond in great detail asap and apologize for NOT responding sooner----as i am very busy with work.

Will respond likely by sunday night.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
First, i want to say that i want to, and believe in, doing things the right way and not 1/2 assing things.

1) Background info:
a) Truck is: 1/2 ton 2wd, 4.3 v-6, TH-350, 2.56 rear diff (i know, TOTALLY wrong for towing and we'll get into that)

b) i want to tow no more than 5300 lbs. (open 14' trailer, "small" G-body/monte carlo etc.), but usually 3900lbs. (open 14' tandem trailer w/ chevette with small block with iron heads)

c) i DO NOT, at this time, want to buy another tow vehicle because of space---already have too many cars, and i want to curtail spending. Although i have not ruled this avenue out 100%, if it's the best way and i certainly can do it budget-wise, although i really don't want to.

d) The 4.3 v-6 has a very similar, if not identical, torque and hp curve as the LG3 305 that was in the truck previously. The 305 combo did not do too well towing even the chevette, hence my asking the question in the first place. The crate 350 that was in the truck before the 305, i feel, could do the towing job pretty good(even though i never towed with it) and we'll get to that in a sec.....

e) i do not plan to tow long distances. Only to local tracks. So, maybe 1-2 hrs away max.

Logic/illogic:

a) As i stated above, the 305 did not do too well towing even the chevette. The truck handled the trailer pretty good and the 305 did ok on flat ground, but even the slightest incline made it slow down. i noticed real quick how much truckers are in a hurry on the interstates----because those guys were on my ASS. This was very mentally uncomfortable for me and my main reason for starting this topic----i want to reasonably be able to keep up with traffic.

b) i like the 4.3 and want to keep it, although getting a crate or vortec L31 350 is probably the simplest, cheapest, most intelligent way, in my situation, to solve the problem. And is certainly do-able budget wise. i'm pretty sure either 350 will have no problems towing 5300 lbs. all day. The truck has had 3 previous v-8s, so i have all the mounts, exhaust, odds and ends etc.

c) i have never done a differential gear change and am not opposed to doing one. This may be cheaper than b), but not necessarily the most time-efficient----the truck may be down for a long time, because i WILL get stuck and will have to ask for help here and on many other sites. i would want to go to 3.42 and not any lower.

So, i'm thinking if i left the trans in second; 1.52 x 2.56 = 3.89 final drive AND 35 inch tires would be 2600 rpm at 65mph, which i think is ok.
i guess the bottom line is :This strategy may be kinky, but is it feasible?

When i'm not towing, i would just switch back to the 29 inch tires and drive in "D" like normal.

The other approach would be to tow just as is. Maybe try to tow later at night when there is not much traffic.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
All that and there's no *******?
I think we just got dumber by reading that. Pretty sure we are killing braincells here...how can I save my squarebody brethern from falling into your trap?

Matter of fact, lemme see your insurance and driver's license. Keep both of your hands on the wheel where I can see em and keep looking straight ahead. Grr.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
All that and there's no *******?
I think we just got dumber by reading that. Pretty sure we are killing braincells here...how can I save my squarebody brethern from falling into your trap?

Matter of fact, lemme see your insurance and driver's license. Keep both of your hands on the wheel where I can see em and keep looking straight ahead. Grr.
You read all of that??? Well, I can't say too much, since I watched all of your black Star Trek anal YouTube video. WTH was that? Lol. Another ~1 1/2 minutes of my life, gone.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84