is it common to not get much if any bubbles from the front reservoir while bench bleeding a master cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I am bench bleeding a new master cylinder for my brakes on my 87 GMC, Is it common to not get many bubbles from the front reservoir if any at all? Back res is doing fine but very little action from the front!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No I isn't normal. There are several ways to bleed a master off the vehicle. In a vise attached to one of the ears, fill it, then slowly press the piston using a screwdriver about 1/2 way down releasing the fluid then, closing it off with fingers then release the piston. Do this until there is fluid at both outlets. When fluid is at both outlets close them off again with fingers, taking short strokes, pump the piston until no bubbles appear in the reservoir, Install. The masters usually come with short hoses for bench bleeding but I never use them. Also, be sure and NOT bottom the piston out. It is possible to cut a cup doing that. Others will chime in with different procedures. Use the method your most comfortable with.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am bench bleeding a new master cylinder for my brakes on my 87 GMC, Is it common to not get many bubbles from the front reservoir if any at all? Back res is doing fine but very little action from the front!
I had that happen with a new Raybestos M/C From Summit for my Chevelle.
They 2 dayed another one, and didn't make me return the bad one.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
No I isn't normal. There are several ways to bleed a master off the vehicle. In a vise attached to one of the ears, fill it, then slowly press the piston using a screwdriver about 1/2 way down releasing the fluid then, closing it off with fingers then release the piston. Do this until there is fluid at both outlets. When fluid is at both outlets close them off again with fingers, taking short strokes, pump the piston until no bubbles appear in the reservoir, Install. The masters usually come with short hoses for bench bleeding but I never use them. Also, be sure and NOT bottom the piston out. It is possible to cut a cup doing that. Others will chime in with different procedures. Use the method your most comfortable with.
I have it in the vice, I made some steel lines to bench bleed, but got a few bubbles out of the front but not much, only pushing the piston in about an inch,

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
little update, after gravity bleeding all 4 corners which got a lot of black nasty fluid out the brake pedal seem to be good! I still am gonna pressure bleed the entire thing but at this point everything seems to be working well

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
reading old thread and looking for info. I am bleeding brakes....all new lines , new calipers, had master and booster off a couple of times. very little movement on back brakes removing air or displacing fluid. As i pump the pedal , with bleeder open it still seems to pump up and hold pressure after a few pumps. Any ideas? Could master be locked up with air?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
reading old thread and looking for info. I am bleeding brakes....all new lines , new calipers, had master and booster off a couple of times. very little movement on back brakes removing air or displacing fluid. As i pump the pedal , with bleeder open it still seems to pump up and hold pressure after a few pumps. Any ideas? Could master be locked up with air?
Is the combination valve locked up? My understanding is one of its jobs is to sense an open line and use pressure from the other to drive a piston over blocking that line from flowing.

Supposedly there is a button to release the internal piston when it locks out. I've also heard stories of the piston sticking in old ones and not resetting. Did you replace the combo valve too?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I always put them in a vise and push till they bottom out works for Me,, I Never push real hard or fast but dO make sure They bottom out.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I found a proportioning valve tool that you remove the switch/plug for warning light and screw in this tool to reset and allow flow to be restored. 9 bucks on amazon....either that or bench bleed master is what my limited research has led me to

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
moving forward i have all new lines and as I am bleeding the fluid is very brown/rusty looking prop valve and booster/master are the only old parts. maybe I need to replace master?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84