Intro #2!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
Yep.. Thats a rough start but I think you can do it! I've seen worse. hah. :D

As a side note, you sound just like me.. Got my truck with no knowledge of the motor either! And I also have a 77 with what I believe to be is an 86+ 350 in it. Still doing my research and detective work on mine.

When you can, post a larger picture of that motor. I want to see if it looks anything like mine and see what I can offer as tips on things Ive discovered about mine as well. :D

Good luck on the build!

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Hey, thanks Dave! I'll keep you posted about that engine. I'm going to do some work on it here this week.

Shawn- Seriously! If no one here has ever done one of these I'm going to attempt to build one that's similar. I'll be sure to take tons of pictures and document it when I do. It won't be for a while but I think those things are some of the best looking one's I've seen!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's the first I've ever seen of them and knew they existing. I think it would have to grow on me. Not real sure what I think about them.

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Pictures coming tomorrow night! I got the truck back over the hill this last week and in my driveway. It had all kinds of rat/mouse crap in the truck. Mouse nests and POUNDS of dirt/dust were vacuumed out! I tore out the carpet and insulation, took the seat out washed and hosed out the cab. Now I'm on to pulling the dash and getting rid of the nests/dirt/insulation behind it. There's all kinds of backyard mechanics/wiring work done to it, so that'll be fun to figure out.

Figured out the engine. It IS an '87 350. However, it's got a pre '87 intake that's been "modified" to fit ha. I'll be putting an intake, carb, cam, and headers under the hood in the next few months.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll be putting an intake, carb, cam, and headers under the hood in the next few months.

You gonna be putting a block and heads under the hood too? Prolly won't start with just intake, carb, cam and headers.

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Haha Minor details, right?

Dont worry too much HRPC! I'll take care of this square!

Really though, I'm excited to get going on this. The cash flow factor kind of slows down the process though!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Haha Minor details, right?

Dont worry too much HRPC! I'll take care of this square!

Really though, I'm excited to get going on this. The cash flow factor kind of slows down the process though!

:hidesbehindsofa: Yeah, the minor stuff is important. I know to well about cash flow. Just ask around. My projects don't move to fast either.

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Here's what happened this weekend! I drove it back through almost 100 miles of that snow with very little tread and a transfer case that didn't want to stay in 4x4.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have to say, from these pics here, compared to the pics in post #1 and #2, you've made very impressive progress. And if it made 100 mile trip in that bad weather, I don't think you can complain a bit. :waytogo: I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical at those first pics, but I'd say you have a worthy project now. That driver side floor pan is looking very solid too. A good cleaning, sanding or blasting to rough up the current paint and finish on that floorboard, and shoot it with some Monstaliner or other product and I'd say your in bidness !!! Good News, and Good Job !!!

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Thanks HRPC. I'm going to patch the floor boards in those small spots on the passenger side pretty soon.

I'm dreading it but I need to tear the dash out of the truck and clean up under there. There's some mouse nests and all kinds of dirt up in there. The dash pad is going away any way, I'll be looking for a new one. Well, it's that or a glue on dash cap.

This will give me a chance to re-do some of the rats nest wiring that was done before also. Hopefully it gets rid of the musty smell the mice brought in.

After that I'm going to do some compression and leak down tests. There's some kind of knock going on inside the engine. It definitely doesn't sound like it's in the top end of the engine. But I don't know. Rod knock? Loose torque converter?

I guess I'll find out. Gotta get it done!

Hope you all had a great holiday season! Happy New Year!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohhh yeah. You have all the reason in the world to dread cleaning behind the dash. I've just done it for the most part to my 85 K1500. No nests, but pure filth was back there.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Cool pics. :)

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
Figured out the engine. It IS an '87 350. However, it's got a pre '87 intake that's been "modified" to fit ha. I'll be putting an intake, carb, cam, and headers under the hood in the next few months.

When you get into the motor more, try and snap some pics for me. I think this is EXACTLY what mine has going on.. I'd love to see if it is. :waytogo:

Oh and nice job so far! And kudos to you on being so bold to take the thing on the 100 mile trip through the snow.. Wheeew. Nice.

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Definitely Dave! I'll let you know. Hopefully it doesn't get too messy haha. And the snow wasn't too bad. Not exactly my idea of a day of fun though ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117