Interior lights/dome light do not work with door switch but buzzer does

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wilsjay

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 converted to K2500
Engine Size
I have an odd issue. My truck only has a door jamb switch on the driver side everything was working fine at one point. After replacing my steering column (the problem could have pre-existed me swapping steering columns I am not sure) but I have noticed my interior lights do not come on with the door switch, however the switch is working fine and does function properly when it comes to the buzzer for when you leave your keys in the ignition. Keys in with door open it buzzes, shut the door it stops... No go on the interior lights though. They work fine with the headlight switch when you turn it to the proper position. I have checked for any loose or frayed wires and not found anything. I am at a loss for where the issue maybe.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
I will follow this thread Jason. working on new jam switches and interior light harness from painless so I’m interested in what you find.

Randy

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do the interior lights come on with the headlamp switch? Have you checked the fuse for the interior lights? Have you checked the bulbs? How many lights do you have? One under dash, two under dash, and/or back top of the cab?

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe this will help. I would start by checking TAN-159 wire. Especially since you think it started after steering column swap. Double check connection at column. (updated pic- accidentally highlighted dimmer instead of light switch)

Attachments

• domelight.jpg
    domelight.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm learning as I go.. If I'm looking at the diagram correctly. TAN-159 is your key alarm (& you said it is working) If I understand it correctly, that means the door switch appears to be grounding like it should- So that leaves WHT- 156 running from the door switch to the light(s) is probably the problem. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable can help.

better diagram from AuroraGirl in earlier post- https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/confusing-door-jamb-switch.37191/

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe the dome/courtesy lights are only orange and white wires.
Orange + and always hot
White - and closed with headlight switch or door button.
I believe the buzzer is a second wire from the door button so likely ground from door button is bad somewhere.
They’re all joined together unde r the middle of the dash.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Search in the electrical forum. Several threads and diagrams

wilsjay

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 converted to K2500
Engine Size
Sorry for delayed response. I have 2 lights in floorboard area and a dome light. They come on as they should when you turn the headlight knob.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My bet is bad connection with door jamb switch. The WHT-156 connects with the door switch and splices with another WHT-156 wire that runs to the courtesy lights & dome light. I figure your problem is somewhere from the jamb switch to the splice. After reading this post I decided to fix my driver door jamb switch-which hasn't work for years. I had the part and meant to change it a year ago. I unscrewed it and started to pull it from the body, but the connections won't fit through the hole.:( I didn't feel like having to fish for wires, so i just screwed the old one back for now. Upside is dome & courtesy lamps came on when I grounded the connections trying to get it through the hole.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Since I was under my dash, I went ahead and took some pics that might help. These are from 85 K10.

Attachments

• domesplice.jpg
    domesplice.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 84
  • domesplice2.JPG
    domesplice2.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 85

wilsjay

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 converted to K2500
Engine Size
I just disconnected my wires from the tan wire that goes behind the fuse panel that connects to chime and the door jamb switch works the dome light again. The buzzer does not come one with the door if the key is left in, but that is not a big deal for me. I assume something incorrect/wrong/different with the buzzer setup in the new steering column. At any rate I am perfectly happy with it now and thanks for all the help, pics and wiring diagrams!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad