Insulation Step 1: Sound Deadener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
In an effort to make the dually more baby-friendly, I have decided to kick off the long term process of insulation, sound deadening, and general interior clean-up.

First off I'm working on the sound deadener. After pulling out all the nasty old carpet and soggy OEM deadener, tossing all my old trash, and killing a couple spiders, I cleaner the sheet metal and began applying the deadener.

I decided to try an el-cheapo brand called Noico. It is butyl based, and I got it on amazon. I went with 50 mil thickness. I also used 3M foil tape for all of the seams and tears.

Here is the link to the product:

Noico 50 Mil Sound Deadener 50sq ft

After a few hours of wrestling with it with the wife these are the results. I will be working up the c-pillars and onto the roof next and will post up pics as I go.

So far I have noticed zero improvement as far as exhaust drone, but I have noticed a significant drop in high-pitched sounds and road noise.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I like it :)

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I've been pondering doing this to my Crewcab when I get around to doing the interior. It'd be nice to quiet it down a bit.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I did a foil back product as well as a Bituthene rubber liner as well. The road noise has since disappeared as well as the exhaust was dramatically minimized. The floor carpeting was the third and final layer.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well, step one is now complete. I finished the foil-backed product, and you can see I started the closed-cell-foam gasket layer in the back. I'll post up a new Step 2 thread for that.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Youll notice more noise reduction if you do the back wall and the roof. But probably the biggest improvement I noticed is when I did the inner side of the door skins. Make sure the firewall is done and put some on the firewall in the engine bay too. Then take a can of great stuff foam and after opening the front doors, fill up the cracks where the fender rests against the cab, from the windshield down. Lots of noise comes through there. Then throw jute over all the butyl under the carpet

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Silverado/Sierra Classic models had cab to fender isolators to fill in that gap (at least in my year truck), not sure if that completely does a good a job as the foam.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
As of right now I'm not planning on messing with the firewall any. The OEM deadening material is still there and is in ok shape (for the most part). If I have enough material (its looking like I will) I will definitely be doing the doors, but that will come later. For now I plan to put down a layer of CCF then a layer of mass loaded vinyl, then finally mass-backed carpet. That should cut down on the exhaust/road noise issue I'm having as well as reduce the amount of heat coming up from the tranny/exhaust.

My goal is not to turn this old dually into a caddy, I'm just looking to make it more family/baby friendly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL