installing the gear indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just grabbed the thing (gear indicator) and went on out there and put the thing in. I got tired of worrying about how hard it was going to be since I couldn't get the inst. panel out as far as it needed to be. But I managed to get the panel out pretty far since I don't have my fuel pressure gauge in yet which would have a braided hose attached to it further restricting how far I could pull the panel out. I got the left screw in easy but I knew the right screw was going to take awhile. It wasn't as bad as I thought since I was able to pull the panel out far enough without having to drop the steering column down by taking out those two big bolts holding it up against the column support under the dash.
But here's the pic I took of the part about getting the little cable through the part for it, a guide of some sort made on the lower corner right there of the White plastic box behind the inst. panel, so the cable has a smooth downward pull on it for the needle to line up correctly with the trans. gear.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Pic's.
You must be registered for see images attach
Here is the thing the cable needs to go into. You can see that the cable has to make a "v" shaped bend to get into this "cable guide". And there are two cables. I've done this a few times and have found it easier to work one cable into the guide and then the next.
One cable goes in with the help of a small flat tip screw driver, or you can get it in with your finger tip. You can feel it slip in. The guide is made this way so the cable will have something it can glide along and that won't let it just be free to get caught in the steering column. So it's got that "v" shape it would never be able to come out of itself.
Second cable is in.
Final step in the install is to push the clip over the slot in the lower housing of the column and put the screw in. You can just make out the top of the slot above the clip. Snug the screw down after looking at the face of the indicator and approximate where it needs to be with the vehicle in park pointing at "P". You'll probably change exactly where the needle goes, so this first placement is a starting place.
You can just see the end of the cable guide. Just follow the end of the cable where it's attached to the arm of the clip as it goes over the guide, and you can see the two cables going back toward the pointer.

Last edited:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Pic's.
Here is the thing the cable needs to go into. You can see that the cable has to make a "v" shaped bend to get into this "cable guide". And there are two cables. I've done this a few times and have found it easier to work one cable into the guide and then the next.
One cable goes in with the help of a small flat tip screw driver, or you can get it in with your finger tip. You can feel it slip in. The guide is made this way so the cable will have something it can glide along and that won't let it just be free to get caught in the steering column. So it's got that "v" shape it would never be able to come out of itself.
Second cable is in.
Final step in the install is to push the clip over the slot in the lower housing of the column and put the screw in. You can just make out the top of the slot above the clip. Snug the screw down after looking at the face of the indicator and approximate where it needs to be with the vehicle in park pointing at "P". You'll probably change exactly where the needle goes, so this first placement is a starting place.

Set the indicator in Neutral- much easier.

:waytogo:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Checking adjustment.
This is the position of my pointer after the clip was adjusted. It's just off the "P".
In "R" reverse it was right on.
And "D" drive it was right on after it was in gear. Now, I hope it doesn't hang up like it was doing which was the whole reason I had to take it out in the first place. We'll see. It was doing alright while parked in the driveway, but it's on the street that counts, on a hot Summer day, or a freezing a** Winter day. You know, metal properties change with temperature. And this indicator wasn't none to tight to begin with. Maybe loose is better, but I never had a problem with my factory one hanging up.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I just grabbed the thing (gear indicator) and went on out there and put the thing in. I got tired of worrying about how hard it was going to be since I couldn't get the inst. panel out as far as it needed to be. But I managed to get the panel out pretty far since I don't have my fuel pressure gauge in yet which would have a braided hose attached to it further restricting how far I could pull the panel out. I got the left screw in easy but I knew the right screw was going to take awhile. It wasn't as bad as I thought since I was able to pull the panel out far enough without having to drop the steering column down by taking out those two big bolts holding it up against the column support under the dash.
But here's the pic I took of the part about getting the little cable through the part for it, a guide of some sort made on the lower corner right there of the White plastic box behind the inst. panel, so the cable has a smooth downward pull on it for the needle to line up correctly with the trans. gear.

And, yup, did this not too long ago.

LOL

I feel ya.

Attachments

• 20210807_153857.jpg
    20210807_153857.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 77

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

Ohhh, in neutral. Okay. It's not to late I still have the inst. panel out working on different stuff. I'll reset it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Were you standing on your head with that universal joint on a 1/4" extension.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

Ohhh, in neutral. Okay. It's not to late I still have the inst. panel out working on different stuff. I'll reset it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Just drop the lower column cover, loosen the screw, get it aligned in neutral, and snug the screw.

If you like what see, tighten the screw, and reinstall the lower cover.

If not, rinse and repeat.

;)

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Were you standing on your head with that universal joint on a 1/4" extension.
LOL- no, just sitting in the seat doinking with it.

That's a 1/4 extension and wobbler, BTW.

My bezel won't come off easily, either.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

This is what I used. I was able to just get my hand up in there.
This is a little finger tip screw driver. I used it when I worked on aircraft to get into tiny holes in the body and wings.
self explanitory.
You put your index finger tip into the little depression in the end of the handle, then turn it with your thumb and middle finger by spinning it with those fingers. You'd be surprised how tight you can get a screw with this.
I have this in a #1 Phillips, this #2, and a regular flat tip and the narrower one, I guess they have a number but I never paid any attention to it.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah, I've already got all that cover off because I was having to get under the dash to work on the wiring. And I knew I was going to remove it to put the indicator back on. So I just left it all off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128