Installing TBI Frame Mounted Fuel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
where is the video of you cussing?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just go to my YT channel and look, about 95 percent of them have sailor talk, lolz...

Northporttroller1 is my channel.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's the nice thing about the filter placement on a Burb, they always get soaked with ATF so the fittings never seize.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I don't know if the filter on mine has ever been replaced. It's on my fall to-do list. Do the nuts on the ends of the filter spin to detach from the lines?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah, but pull the fuel pump relay from the firewall and try to start the truck, and judt let it run out. TBI's usually dont hold much pressure when the pump is not going, but just to be safe and keep from getting sprayed in the face.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't know if the filter on mine has ever been replaced. It's on my fall to-do list. Do the nuts on the ends of the filter spin to detach from the lines?

Yeah, but pull the fuel pump relay from the firewall and try to start the truck, and judt let it run out. TBI's usually dont hold much pressure when the pump is not going, but just to be safe and keep from getting sprayed in the face.

Actually, the nuts on this brand did not spin, neither did the ones on the old one I took off. I don't know what that brand was. I plan on cutting that one open and posting up some pics here.

dhamp, do yourself a favor, break the lines loose after you run the truck dead like Jim described. THEN, remove the clamp bolt. THEN loosen the lines the rest of the way. You will still have gas pouring out for a little while until the lines empty. I tried to watch the rear line didn't act like a suction and continue to pour out. The front line is braided so you can wiggle it it out of the filter nipple, then slide it off the rear one.

Putting it back on, hand tight the rear line fist, loosely install the bracket and bolt, then the front line hand tight, then tighten the bracket down, then snug the lines up. The nuts on the filter are goofy on that WIX, 19MM was too small, I was sure 20 would fit perfect but didn't have one. 13/16 worked but was sloppy. Didn't trust an adjustable on it though.

Also make sure you get the extra o-rings and replace them, mine were all ripped up.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Good points 89S and Jim! Should be a huge help when I get going on this.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Did you guys have to remove your exhaust to replace the fuel filter? I tried to do mine this morning and because of my pipes being directly underneath it, I have nearly no clearance for wrench movement.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You must have dual exhaust. The oem setup is a single pipe on the other side of the driveline so normally there's lots of room.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Your pipes must not be routed the best. Mine has duals on it and I can get at the filter without any issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew