Wrench/Socket Size Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Settle down Dave. I have done it, using a wobble extension and socket. :waytogo:

But i also have the correct distributor wrench.

Ok where do get special wrench at then? What is it called and looks like?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not on a TBI engine. I use 12 point swivel gear ratchet wrench.

THEN TRY GETTING ****** SOCKET ON TBI DISTRIBUTOR HOLD DOWN BOLT THEN. There's so much bs in the way already socket and ratchet aint doing it. Swivel ratchet gear wrench.

I think we are reffering to using the RIGHT SIZE here, not necessarily a socket, a wrench, a swivel, a 90 dergree offset 12 boint ratcheting gear wrench. The point being made, IF YOU CAN"T use the RIGHT SIZE socket, wrench, bobble head bitch or whatever, then you don't need to be working on a vehicle. I'll agree with that.
But, you're right Dave, those bolts are a bitch and they do make distributor wrenchs for those. I have one and refuse to work on a dizzy without one. We've all had to improvise before, I've been lucky before to use a straight open end wrench with it half on the bolt and worked it loose on the roadside once when a guys timing chain skipped a tooth and tried compensating the timing just to get the guy 6 miles to his house. It worked. So do yourself a favor and invest in a dizzy wrench.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A little story just 3 days ago. My boss that I gave a ride the other day.
He has a 90 Bronco and broke his driveline. I told him to take it out and carry it to a driveline shop or he'd get rapped on labor on something he could do himself. He calls me up and says its SPECIAL BOLTS, so I am going to use Vise Grips to get it off. I said Oh helllll NO you're NOT !!! don't you dare !!! I'll be over in a few I got there, it was nothing more than 12mm 12pt sockets. I had it off in 5 minutes all 8 bolts. Has he used vise grips and stripped those heads, he'd been Fugged. Those things were so tight, I used a dead blow mallet to tap the ratchet to get them loose. Notice I said, TAPPED, not beat.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
All I use for the clamp on my distributor is a open end box wrench.....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Updated.

Eric

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The 208 and the 241 are the same size, I used a 30mm socket for mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1