Install overhead dome light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79c10paintedtwice

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
My 79 C10 Custom Deluxe didn't come with the overhead dome light.I see part # 36 4630 in LMC. Is that what I want? Any problems running the wire?

carfanatic63

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
none yet
Truck Model
Engine Size
Im not sure about the part number but you will need to fish the wire. I got a wire fisher from har or freight for the job

79c10paintedtwice

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
Where does the light mount, front or rear, and which way did the wire go? Looks easier in the back.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Where does the light mount, front or rear, and which way did the wire go? Looks easier in the back.
The original dome light would be mounted in the rear of the cab. The wires run to the driver's side, down the rear cab pillar then forward to the fuse box under the cab door threshold plate.

The light is shadowed by the driver making it hard to read a map, etc. in front of you. I added a lighted rear view mirror to my square. The light is then coming from a better direction to see anything in front of the driver or passenger.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The original dome light would be mounted in the rear of the cab. The wires run to the driver's side, down the rear cab pillar then forward to the fuse box under the cab door threshold plate.

The light is shadowed by the driver making it hard to read a map, etc. in front of you. I added a lighted rear view mirror to my square. The light is then coming from a better direction to see anything in front of the driver or passenger.
VERY highly recommend this. Get the factory dome light installed for general interior lighting. Then install a lighted review mirror so you can see stuff right in front of you. I used a rearview mirror out of a high end GM car from the 80's like a Park avenue or olds 88. Both lights on the mirror turn on when a door is opened, but also have switches so you can flip one on if you like.

79c10paintedtwice

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
Planning to go the oem route with the rear mount. Good point on the shadow issue. Need to get some orange wire and do it right. Thanks for the comments. Really pleased with this square body forum.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 79 C10 Custom Deluxe didn't come with the overhead dome light.I see part # 36 4630 in LMC. Is that what I want? Any problems running the wire?
Yup, you want one of those options. Don’t pay $10.95 for a separate LED bulb though.
Shouldn’t be too hard to fish the wire up there although may help to get the right dimensions for the cutout. Although once you have the light, that will be sort of self explanatory.
If your truck already has the courtesy light under dash which I think they all do then just tie into that system. I’ve posted the wiring diagram in this section of the forum before if you search some light.
If you have a cargo light, with the switch back on the B pillar, it also runs through that.

79c10paintedtwice

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
Thanks. I installed door switches and used the previous orange wire for that circuit.

Attachments

• 20221209_163202.jpg
    20221209_163202.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 56

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

what make model mirror did you use? I upgraded mine but it doesnt have the "map" lights

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
what make model mirror did you use? I upgraded mine but it doesnt have the "map" lights

I used a mirror from an 80's S-Blazer. The mirrors are made by a company called Donnelly. Donnelly was one of the suppliers, that supplied mirrors for GM and Ford, and probably others. I'm not sure about GM but I know Ford still uses them. The Ford mirrors require a different mounting pad than the two types GM uses. The squares have a smaller pad than the newer GM's.

I believe because GM started adding more options to the rear view mirrors, they used the larger mounting pad since the mirrors got heaver. Also the late model GM mirrors are run through the body processor. You want a mirror from an 80's or early 90's GM.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I used a mirror from an 80's S-Blazer. The mirrors are made by a company called Donnelly. Donnelly was one of the suppliers, that supplied mirrors for GM and Ford, and probably others. I'm not sure about GM but I know Ford still uses them. The Ford mirrors require a different mounting pad than the two types GM uses. The squares have a smaller pad than the newer GM's.

I believe because GM started adding more options to the rear view mirrors, they used the larger mounting pad since the mirrors got heaver. Also the late model GM mirrors are run through the body processor. You want a mirror from an 80's or early 90's GM.
I'm pretty sure you mirror is the same as my mirror which was out of either a Buick PA or Olds 88.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84