Inner Rocker, Outer Rocker, Inner Cab Corner, Kick Panel & Floor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
dang tank nice work. highdesertranger

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Nice work, I've experience the joys of rebuilding the bottom 12 inches of my 79, New floor supports, cab mounts, floors, inner, outer rockers, inner, outer cab corners, kick panels, fire wall.

The way you are doing it works with all the spot welds, but make sure you coat and protect the areas where the metal laps over and use a high quality 2 component seam sealer, otherwise the rust gremlins will spawn from those lapped areas.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Nice work, I've experience the joys of rebuilding the bottom 12 inches of my 79, New floor supports, cab mounts, floors, inner, outer rockers, inner, outer cab corners, kick panels, fire wall.

looks good!

The way you are doing it works with all the spot welds, but make sure you coat and protect the areas where the metal laps over and use a high quality 2 component seam sealer, otherwise the rust gremlins will spawn from those lapped areas.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Great work!!!
Seeing threads with work like this is great! I am far from a decent welder and even farther from someone that can do body work.
I do have a mid 90's Jeep XJ that has a few small rust holes in the floor that I am going to attempt to repair. I'm not too worried about how it looks since it is going to be a trail rig but I don't want it to look like a hack did the work - even though that's exactly what happening.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Great work!!!
Seeing threads with work like this is great! I am far from a decent welder and even farther from someone that can do body work.
I do have a mid 90's Jeep XJ that has a few small rust holes in the floor that I am going to attempt to repair. I'm not too worried about how it looks since it is going to be a trail rig but I don't want it to look like a hack did the work - even though that's exactly what happening.
I’ve got a few tool off Amazon that help ie: hole punch and lap joint pliers but thanks!

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am surprised to see lap welds being used in a place that rusts as much as yours did! Are you going to weld underneath to close the laps?
Or coat the bottom with some spray on skin insulator thing? I think even the 2k epoxy or some POR15 would help seal it.
Looks like it’s coming together. How’s the other side?

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Great work!!!

I'm no professional, but some advice I can give is don't start cutting anything out until you have the replacement metal handy, patch or even sheet steel to make the patch from,
check the surrounding area for rust, not uncommon for compromised metal to be nearby the hole, easier to cut that too with the original patch and make it a little bigger.
take measurements of reference points if needed, take pictures to refer to
save old pieces until done for reference if needed
take your time
worst case, its just metal, just start over if things go pear shaped.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I am surprised to see lap welds being used in a place that rusts as much as yours did! Are you going to weld underneath to close the laps?
Or coat the bottom with some spray on skin insulator thing? I think even the 2k epoxy or some POR15 would help seal it.
Looks like it’s coming together. How’s the other side?
Body sealant and or weld yet to decide.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Tooling to assist

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Now do I modify my hinges to get the door to fit - new made in Taiwan

So I ended up modifying the brackets from rock auto to get the door gap better, it’s definitely not perfect, but I am not necessarily looking for a show truck, the more time you spend on gaps/alignment/fitment the better off you are going to be come prep fill block sand and paint time.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Spent a little time, up late last night prepping the cab corner, and then up early this morning with final layout of the rocker and cab corner. Don’t rush, take your time with this now and you’ll require less body filler later.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Great job man! I am a mechanic by trade, but never done body/paint work. I am truly amazed how guys can repair a rusty carcass like that. Even if I were to attempt a smaller project, I would not know where to begin! My luck the damn thing would fold in half

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Great job man! I am a mechanic by trade, but never done body/paint work. I am truly amazed how guys can repair a rusty carcass like that. Even if I were to attempt a smaller project, I would not know where to begin! My luck the damn thing would fold in half
Hey bubba! Thanks, but I’m definitely no expert with body work, I am a dual ticketed Journeyman Welder and Heavy Equipment Technician/Mechanic, it’s all about time and effort you are willing to put in... only reason this thread exists is because I couldn’t find anything to reference myself and if this helps someone with where to start, or have questions that someone who watches the thread or even myself could answer than we keep these old squares alive. I’m really just farting around with this as a hobby, truck was my fathers, he rebuilt it once, and never did it the way he wanted, now it’s getting a update - actually have another thread under “Down To Ground Restoration” in this forum, filled it with whatever I could pass on for knowledge, using what I know and researching or talking to others in here and offline to motivate others to try. Take it easy Bubba!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strokedK15