Ingersol Rand / Campell Hausfeld

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
60-80 gallon compressor, oiled- who has a preference and why?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I've never had a problem with their air tools if that's counts for anything lol

Mad gimp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
60-80 gallon compressor, oiled- who has a preference and why?
I have a cambell 80 gallon compressor and havent had a moments problem out of it in 18 years. It gets used hard too. The key is maintenance. Oil changes, air filter and belt service and keep the tank drained.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A friend of mine has had an IR for around 10 years, he hasn't had any trouble with it.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You buying online or in person? If you can look at each one you'll probably find that the tank is the only thing sourced from within the U.S. IR uses Emerson motors from Mexico (nothing wrong with that) and the pumps are from India. CH tends to have more of a consumer level image than IR, but I've owned a CH compressor and it worked fine for many years and only sold it because it couldn't supply my sandblast cabinet. Belaire and HF compressors are both from the same U.S. company with outsourced parts, I've been running the crap out of a HF 60 gallon for years with no problem. No matter the brand, just be sure to get a two-stage compressor and not a single stage.

All that being said, if I was spending someone else's money I'd get a Quincy.

Last edited:

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I picked up a 60 gallon 3.7 hp 2 stage at lowes... It's made by CH, but I haven't fired it up yet. Price was $500 and that fit my budget.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You buying online or in person? If you can look at each one you'll probably find that the tank is the only thing sourced from within the U.S. IR uses Emerson motors from Mexico (nothing wrong with that) and the pumps are from India. CH tends to have more of a consumer level image than IR, but I've owned a CH compressor and it worked fine for many years and only sold it because it couldn't supply my sandblast cabinet. Belaire and HF compressors are both from the same U.S. company with outsourced parts, I've been running the crap out of a HF 60 gallon for years with no problem. No matter the brand, just be sure to get a two-stage compressor and not a single stage.

All that being said, if I was spending someone else's money I get a Quincy.

I bought a Quincy and I'm still very happy with it. It builds pressure fast and has zero trouble keeping up. And it's not noisy.

51stovebolt

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ve owned both and not had problems with either. Agree that CH seems to have a bit more of a consumer reputation and IR more of an industrial reputation. However, both seem to be more than enough of a compressor for a home shop. I think it is more important to focus on the specs than on the brand. For instance, how much air do you need (SCFM)? Also, I’m a fan of a cast iron belt drive compressor for longevity sake. Even the off brand cast iron compressors are destined to outlive your needs.

I’m a bit of an air compressor snob and kinda sheepishly admit that I recently bought a Saylor Beall. It is the best that money can buy. It is beautifully made. It is the kind of compressor my grandkids could still be running if they want. But, looking honestly at the situation, it is so overkill. I do appreciate the craftsmanship a lot, but the craftsmanship is not really something I can use. Rather, air pressure and volume is the tangible thing I need and cast iron CH compressor I bought 15 years earlier makes that as well as the SB, and was all the compressor I really needed.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
If you can get one in your area, the Quincy as mentioned above.

bft305

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had researched this topic not to long ago and found that the consumer level stuff for IR has gone down hill. I had an oiless small CH compressor that I abused the hell out of and it has run for 25 years! I myself decided to go with a puma two stage 40 gallon unit. Couldn’t find much info on it but it came with a leeson motor. I did have an issue with the capacitor of the motor and they sent me a new motor for free and didn’t have to send the old one back. Puma is out of Tenn. and has great customer service! So far have been really happy with it and it is pretty quiet.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
The slower it turns, the quieter it will be, and the longer it should last. Make sure you have adequate power. If your running cable a ways from the power source, upsize the cable bcause wires have friction=heat=power loss.

I was just about to buy your typical 5hp 80 gallon for sandblasting when I bumped into an old friend. He rebuilds industrial compressors and said he'd find me a 3-phase slow-turning industrial-grade pump. His recent compressor aquisition was 100 gallon with a huge pump, and the motor had blown up so he installed a copy of an old American Motor that's made in China, 15hp 240v. He said it's identical except that it draws a little bit more amperage, but I can live with that for the little bit that I do run it when I sandblast. I'll try to get some pictures when and if I do get whatever I'm going to be getting from him in the near future

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
If you're not in a rush, check Craigslist, sometimes people buy a compressor and it's too noisy or too small or too big or they need money for Christmas, and you can get a really good deal if you're fast and you have the cash. There's also OFFERUP-a new way to shop.

I was looking for a GMT400 Suburban out west, and Craigslist was just a big waste of time, and the first offerup that I checked-within one hour I was driving a 3/4 ton Suburban, the truck of my dreams! A 2001 2500 6L 4x4, it didn't have the sunroof or steering wheel controls, but it was the right color and the right price and I drove it back from California to New York, and it only broke down three times! Thank goodness I had a pen knife and spare used alternator and toolbox and a pair of vice grips, and I was back on the road in a few minutes!

Sorry to hijack the thread...

You must be registered for see images attach

Mad gimp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size

All that being said, if I was spending someone else's money I get a Quincy.
Totaly agree! For sure need to go with two stage!

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
My local distributor carried IR and CH, CH was less expensive. They also carried QUINCY. Cast iron, two stage, 7 1/2 Hp, has been stellar. I have 250 acre farm and lots of equipment that I maintain as well. This compressor gets used a lot, almost every day winter and summer, sometimes for extended period like when I am sandblasting. Done nothing in five years except oil change, and clean filter. I house it in it's own little pre filtered room. I don't anticipate buying another compressor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner