In need of desperate help with 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tilex08

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok, my trannies going bad in my truck. Im replacing it with a rebuilt transmission from work with lower miles on it. I have the trans on a stand in my garage. Im wondering what mods i should do to make this thing shift nice and hard and have overall the best performance i need. I will be doing moderate towing. Nothing to crazy at all. My truck is lifted with 35 inch tires. I already bought a B&M transpak shift kit but after researching it seems like i should have wen with the transgo kit??? should i return the b&M kit for the transgo kit? Also i want to put a servo in. Im debating on the corvette servo or a b&m servo from summit. Both around the same price. And if i get the corvette servo what do i need. the servo and the 4th servo and the pin? or just one? im really confused. Also ivv seen some things about a lock up kit? what is that and do i need it? Help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks. and also whats a up shift kit and do i need it?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome aboard Chris. Do you want the sugar coated story of how your 700r4 will live just fine, or do you want the truth?
First and foremost, don't even worry about a 700r4 shifting nice and hard and having best performance. Throw that out the window. What you need to worry about, is having it built to hold up.
The truth is, from the things you mention, you're wanting a firm shift, you'll be towing, even if it's just a ATV trailer with an ATV, that's an additional 700lbs or so but extra friction of 2 more wheels to drag, so even though it's "not crasy at all" for a 700r4 it can be a serious issue. At that little bit of towing to 35 in tires, and the 35in tires are enough of a problem alone without towing. Point I'm making, 700r4 sounds like the wrong transmission to me. One can be beefed up, but still its longevity will be limited. So another question for you then a couple of us here can give you some advice and if you decide to go with the 700r4 for sure, we'll tell you what all you can do to it, but no guarentee it'll hold up for long. What rear gear ratio are you running. I'm hoping to hear at least 4.56 or 4.88 with 35's and towing with a performance shift.

tilex08

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yea I'm pretty much stuck with this trans. And yea I will be towing a enclosed motorcycle trailer. With a fifty gallon water barrel full, bike, gear, workbench, tool chest. So I'm sure it does have a lot of weight. So basically in a nut shell I want the trans to be able to handle that and some hot rodding around. The motor is mildly built. Mild cam, gear to gear timing, headers, Holley four barrel, etc. as of now with the old trans I could put the pedal to the floor and the tires wouldn't even break loose. It was definitely lacking. This made me think it was geared more for highway use, or something. How do I check what the gearing is? Would it require taking off the diff cover? I thought maybe this new tranny with some mods would bring some power out. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure all this transmission stuff out. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All sounding like the wrong trans to me, but we can help you get it beefed up some.
I'll see about getting a list of upgrades for 700r4 found and see that we get the info here.
With 35's you're not likely to break them loose even with a mild motor unless you're into the 4.56 or lower gear ratio.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly