Ignition Switch Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

born2Run83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC - C1500
Engine Size
5.3L LM7
if you went to your starter solenoid and cranked your engine (but just bypassing the column stuff) would it also do that?
I just replaced the starter, the one installed was not engaging the gear to the flywheel. But this did not fix the issue. However, when I turn the key from OFF to Power, then rotate to Start, the resistance is minimal.. I changed the ignition switch thinking that was the issue but it hasn’t felt the same in the key rotation since.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I just replaced the starter, the one installed was not engaging the gear to the flywheel. But this did not fix the issue. However, when I turn the key from OFF to Power, then rotate to Start, the resistance is minimal.. I changed the ignition switch thinking that was the issue but it hasn’t felt the same in the key rotation since.
does it have "wings" that you turn and not just the head of the key?(i bought a cylinder that was cheap and the wings broke, so i could see it)

I ask because that key is tough to turn on its own but sometimes its worse , probabl tolerances and lack of lubrication etc etc

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Long time ago, I went through what your are describing and I could turn on the key and get a click like it wants to and some times it would. At that time I had to replace the battery connections to the starter. It got to the point were I would just turn the key on and crawl under the truck and jump the solenoid. Then the questions you are asking about the column switch it will turn on everything but not allow for a start. So I bypassed that portion with a push button. Turn the key on, push the button starter gets its signal to start. To me you problem sounds the same. Replace the postive cable to the solenoid and the ground wire to the solenoid and see what happens. Then adjust the column swtich.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20