Ignition locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Alright I'll try that. Right now I'm relying on the fact that most kids can't drive a 4 speed for anti-theft. Where does one find powdered graphite? Lowes?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This is gonna sound smartass but it's just cheap and lazy:

You can get enough graphite to lube a lock cylinder by sharpening a pencil and grinding the tip down with a piece of 220 grit or so sand paper.

Sharpen and grind a couple of time until you have a little pile of graphite dust.

Scoop some up with the end of a straw and blow it down into the key slot. Try not to breath in!

Last edited:

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No, I would hope not. I'll still stick with that the tumbler pins stuck in place when you pulled the key out last time and didn't fall back home leaving the lock portion unlocked.

So, I'd try to shoot some powered graphite, not a bunch, just a little bit, into the lock, then shove the key in and push it in and out real fast several times and see if the graphite will lube the pins. If that doesn't seem to do the trick, blow a little air in it to push the graphite thru as much as possible and then put a few drops of 3in1 or sewing machine oil in the lock and do the same thing with the key. The trick is going to be getting those pins lubed.

hydraulic Oil works good to and is it tilt steering

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just asking cause every tilt has come loss on me and if your going to have to dig the the tumbler out it would be a good time to go a little further and lock tight the tilt bolts down

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

You can get enough graphite to lube a lock cylinder by sharpening a pencil and grinding the tip down with a piece of 220 grit or so sand paper.

Sharpen and grind a couple of time until you have a little pile of graphite dust.

Scoop some up with the end of a straw and blow it down into the key slot. Try not to breath inn!

Certainly alot more convenient, then you don't have a tube of graphite laying around that you'll never be able to find when you need it again in 10 years so you end up buying another one.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Scoop some up with the end of a straw and blow it down into the key slot. Try not to breath inn!

Sounds like a plan to me

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And you're not even going to ask why pencil or graphite instead of oil???

Everyone always associates a lubricant with oil. When it comes to locks and everything else for that matter, but locks do not do well with grit and grime in them, but oil is a magnet for dirt, dust and many other foreign particles and turns the oil into gunk that becomes thick and sticky, then you've actually created a bigger problem over time than what you're having now with stuck pins. So do give a good effort with the graphite/pencil first.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
A locksmith once told me that even graphite is bad medicine - and will eventually gum up the internals of a lock.

Might have been an attempt at job preservation?

I have always wondered how talcum powder would work - it is certainly slippery enough and it is basically ground up rock so it should not attract moisture.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And you're not even going to ask why pencil or graphite instead of oil???

Everyone always associates a lubricant with oil. When it comes to locks and everything else for that matter, but locks do not do well with grit and grime in them, but oil is a magnet for dirt, dust and many other foreign particles and turns the oil into gunk that becomes thick and sticky, then you've actually created a bigger problem over time than what you're having now with stuck pins. So do give a good effort with the graphite/pencil first.

I admit the idea threw me at first, but it dawned on me pretty quick. Maybe I'll try graphite next time i change my oil!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare