Ignition Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So my 79 C20 has been starting up just fine for the longest time. Until just recently. I turn the key and it's like nothing wants to turn on. Flip the key to start it and there's nothing... After a little bit it fires up just like normal.. Ill check the connections to the starter tomorrow before work. Until then some tips would be nice. I did notice that the yellow wire from my steering column is hooked into my radio for some reason... But that's the way it's always been wired.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Could be the ignition switch on the column going bad, or something is wrong with the linkage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If it's the ignition switch would I have to swap out the entire column or is there a way to change out the switch?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I wouldn't start the diagnostic procedure with the ignition switch. There are several easy checks that reveal common issues:

1. Check connections at battery posts

2. Check ground cable connections at engine

3. Check connections at starter/solenoid

4. While under the truck to check starter connections, have someone turn the key to START and verify 12 VDC at the "S" terminal on the solenoid. The wire should be purple. The purple wire might be connected to the "R" terminal - depends on whether you have an HEI system.

NOTE: If you do observe that there is power to the solenoid (via the purple wire) when the key is turned to "START" - you have verified correct operation of the ignition switch.

If you are getting power from the ignition switch and also power on the big cable from the battery, try whacking the starter motor with a hammer. If it cranks right up after hitting it with a hammer, the starter needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ill check the connections tomorrow mornin. My starter connections came loose before so thats gonna be the first thing i check. Hope i dont have to drop the starter again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade