Ignition issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Well, I'm having an issue with starting my K5 lately. When I turn the key, nothing, no power to dash or accessories. Checked battery terminals, all tight. Get back in, turn key and all is good. This has happened a couple times now. Today, trying to start, it cranked for about a second and then nothing, no power to the dash or anything. Tried the key again and nothing. Waited a couple minutes, turned the key over and everything worked fine.

Of course I'm going to break out the volt meter this weekend and start trouble shooting but wondered if anyone could help me narrow my search. I did use the search function and nothing came up with similar symptoms (no power to dash and accessories) but will check some areas that came up.

Thanks guys.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
It's not bad to replace in these trucks...Getting it adjusted is about the hardest part.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, I'm having an issue with starting my K5 lately. When I turn the key, nothing, no power to dash or accessories. Checked battery terminals, all tight. Get back in, turn key and all is good. This has happened a couple times now. Today, trying to start, it cranked for about a second and then nothing, no power to the dash or anything. Tried the key again and nothing. Waited a couple minutes, turned the key over and everything worked fine.

Of course I'm going to break out the volt meter this weekend and start trouble shooting but wondered if anyone could help me narrow my search. I did use the search function and nothing came up with similar symptoms (no power to dash and accessories) but will check some areas that came up.

Thanks guys.
Clean the battery terminals, and clean and check where the ground wire bolts to the engine, and where the positive bolts to the starter. Make sure everything is tight, and coat the terminals with terminal dressing. If that doesen't clear up the problem, check back with us.
Its also possible that your ignition switch in the column is bad. Its at the lower end of you column, check the plugs to make sure nothing has backed out.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Also check the big red wire connection where it connects to the fuse block under the hood. I had an issue where the truck would be running and just shut down and when it did that it had no power to anything in the cab IE the ignition switch. The red 10ga wire from the engine harness had worked itself loose inside the connector and was not making a good connection with the fuse box.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I had that problem with the alternator feed wire to the cab on mine. Fusible link next to the alternator started going bad inside. Replaced it with a blade fuse setup.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hope it's just a bad connection on your battery terminals like mine was! That's about the easiest to fix!

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Thanks for all the input guys. I picked up an ignition switch today in case that is the problem. I will be checking all my connections first thing tomorrow then if all is good there, I'm going to change out the ignition switch.

FYI....no issues at all today.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks for all the input guys. I picked up an ignition switch today in case that is the problem. I will be checking all my connections first thing tomorrow then if all is good there, I'm going to change out the ignition switch.

FYI....no issues at all today.

Sometimes, a threat is all a truck needs.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Well....the threat didn't work for long. Ended up being the bolt at the starter. Since I had the ignition switch, swapped that out also....kind of a pain but at least I know the Ignition Switch is new.

I will caveat....it started three times in a row anyways but sounded like a cleaner start. Will be back here if the problem continues but I think I have it fixed.

Thanks again for helping with the left and right limits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman