Idles Rough when AC is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I got a kit. My local shop installed it. Included new AC-Delco Compressor, Hoses, etc. Complete Kit was $395. Cost $200 bucks to get it installed. 4 Cans of R134a was extra. Works fantastic. Nice and cold even in this Tennessee heat.
:hmm:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I am not happy with this company. Tried to get a quote to rebuild my QuadraJet and they never returned my calls.

Hmmm, ok. Then your other options would be a wrecking yard, or, you could go to your friendly hardware guy, and he may be able to try a couple of bolts from his stock. I think they will be fine thread, with a 3/8 head.

DesertBob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350M/LT9
Update. Part arrived and did not fit. Running the stamping number on the carb I found out that this carb was not original but was from a 1980 Cadilac Deville. Found that part on RockAuto. Any one need an idle stop soleniod? Cheap. Never used. Did I mention cheap. :birgits_tiredcoffee

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good deal, When you get it installed, and spliced in with that green wire going to the compressor, hook up a tach, let her warm up to normal temp, activate the A/C on MAX, and unscrew the rod coming out of the solenoid until it opens the throttle to 800 rpm, then shut the A/C off and make sure the idle returns to 700 or 750(whatever the emissions sticker says).

Thanks for this post, now I know how to set mine up. I have the same problem, my AC blows hard and cold but lately I have been driving the truck with windows down cause it runs so ****** with it on. My uncle gave me that same solenoid the other day and told me to run a wire to the hot for the compressor. Now I know how to Adjust it after I do. Sweet! I already installed a tach on the corner of the dash...

DesertBob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350M/LT9
Thanks for this post, now I know how to set mine up. I have the same problem, my AC blows hard and cold but lately I have been driving the truck with windows down cause it runs so ****** with it on. My uncle gave me that same solenoid the other day and told me to run a wire to the hot for the compressor. Now I know how to Adjust it after I do. Sweet! I already installed a tach on the corner of the dash...

Can you see what size screws are holding on your soleniod? I need to pick up a couple for mine. Thanks.

DesertBob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350M/LT9
After much digging I found 2 screws that fit the carb. What a pain in the ***. Got the Solenoid on the carb. Used blue Lock-tight to make sure that they don't come loose. Made a wiring loom to the green wire that can be easily disconnected. Turned on AC and CLICK the solenoid worked perfect. Adjusted it so that the truck idles at 600 rpm with the AC off and 750rpm with the AC on MAX (the sticker said 800rpm but that seemed to high). Worked like a charm. Tried to put the stock air cleaner back on and one of the emission control tubes hits the solenoid. Damn. Out comes the Dremel tool and off goes the tube. Left enough of a stub to weld it back on if necessary. Used a vacuum line plug to close off the tube. Air cleaner back on and all is good. Thanks for all the help.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry dude I didn't check this thread earlier. I have 2 extra screws I could've sent ya

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good Info Guys!

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I got a kit. My local shop installed it. Included new AC-Delco Compressor, Hoses, etc. Complete Kit was $395. Cost $200 bucks to get it installed. 4 Cans of R134a was extra. Works fantastic. Nice and cold even in this Tennessee heat.

Where did you get the kit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85