I need HELP!! Lights switch and ignition??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No prob :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here it is:
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red is your unfused power from the junction block into the switch.
Orange is fused power. one orange comes from the fuse box which is your battery fused power, the other orange goes to all the inside lamps.
Green is your instruments light feed.
White is ground circuit for inside lamps.
Brown is running light feed. Parking lights, front signal and tail lights.
Yellow is your feed to the dimmer switch in the column on your truck. This then runs out to power your head lights.

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks! So, the first step will be 1- to check the red is hot. 2- the Orange are hot. 3-? I can probably start disconnecting stuff to see if each circuit is the problem? I still don't understand why it is not blowing a fuse (maybe it has, I haven't checked, but all the times that happened before, no fuse was blown)

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The more I think about this, the more I think it is some sort of a coincidence. How do you check if the fuse box is well connected?

When the time comes - that you want to check the wiring behind the fuse block - it's just two bolts. There is a space behind the back of the block and in front of the cable gland (maybe 1/2"?) that has a rats nest of wires. To get a look at this area just back the two screws out that secure the block to the gland. They are in the upper RH and lower LH corners of the block:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

There is enough slack in the wires to pull the block out a bit from the firewall.

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I keep thinking about this...how is it possible that, when I actually pulled out the old switch and disconnected it from the wires the headlights stayed on? The only explanation is that there is a short right in the connector where all the switch lights wires are connected to... How do you even replace or check that??

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
There is not enough slack to pull the wires and get it out from under the dash...if it were accessible I could pull all the wires from the connector and check for a short...

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I believe the problem is in the light switch pigtail. Any idea how to replace it?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If the pig tail is not melted or cut. It's likely not to be the problem.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Look closely at the firewall side of the cable transit. It comes apart. The whole gland is like a plug and a socket (multiprong) with the steel firewall in between them. You can separate the two halves and have all the slack you need.

dot4x4

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
I went through similar "they just quit" problem with my lights. Turned out there is a "fusible link" from the starter that was bad and once I replaced it, my lights now work again. I went through all fuses, replaced the switch and everything... but it was that fusible link at the starter.

I would post a pic but I am at work and honestly I think I have the starter wired wrong. The lights work but it won't crank over at all now. Just one more thing to think about.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This^^^ makes sense as the fuse link could not handle the extra amp draw from the lights.

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I'm going to work on it after lunch...I was supposed to be off today and they called me in... Can't wait to start repairing it. Question: can a problem to the light circuit cause the truck not to start? This is what doesn't make any sense to me... The lights stayed on when I disconnected the switch... to me it is mind bugling...

dot4x4

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
On mine its not exactly the switch that was bad. It was the wiring on the starter that was bad. Previous ownder didn't tighten the wire connections. So I lost the fusible link; Then I had a bad negative batt. cable causing other issues like slow starting, slow windshield wipers, some lights would work then not work etc.....

Now that I repaired the fusible link at the starter, and tightened the battery ground, I have head lights, tail lights, inst. lights etc.... all again. I just left the new light switch in because I figure its cheap insurance for the future. My truck has had lots of starter issues since before I got it. I think either the electical issues finally killed it off.... Or my wiring was bad and that's why it won't start now. I will be looking at it later. Good luck !

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350runner