I know the fuel resistor is 90ohms but what is the wattage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wwiifan

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I had the 'only goes to a quarter tank when i fill up' thing before and found on the forums about the bad resistor behind the gauge. Checked mine and found i didnt have one. instead of buying the stock ceramic one for $20, I got 2-180 ohm 1/2 watt resistors and put them in parallel. It fixed it. Kinda. Sometimes on start up it goes way past full. All the way to the 3 oclock position. Initially i felt the resistors and they were very hot to the touch. I lost interest in figuring out the problem for a while . Well now im back. I noticed a while ago the fuel needle would go to the 3 oclock and then at some point start bouncing around from 1/4 to 3 oclock. Since i cant trust what it says i fill it up occasionally. When i do the bouncing around stops. Although it still goes to the 3 oclock. I noticed the original resistors are impossible to find so i will put in a different resistor(s) that total 90 ohms. What i need to know is how beefy the resistor need to be, aka what the wattage rating for the resistor(s) should be.

Anybody have any idea?

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I=V/R Solve for your case I= .13 amps.
But thats not the full circuit. Youve also got the variable resistor of the tank sending unit. Ive not researched the circuit, but any time a ceramic resistor is involved its rated a minimum of 5 watts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507