I know I'm not supposed to, but what are my chances?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Oh yeah, life is good man. I was in a rough spot at that point in time, but things are great now. I've never been the type to let stuff keep me down for too long, I'm too damn stubborn and determined. The whole ordeal lasted less than a year, was okay before and am okay now, just the perfect storm of ****-tastic events all at once. A lot has changed. Since then I've bought another house, got married almost 2 years ago, landed a great job, and I even have a beautiful 15 month old daughter now. AND the Burb is still on the road too lol. I'm slowly starting on my resto after all this time. It'll take a while, but something else to look forward to nonetheless
Excellent, thanks for the great update. Congrats on everything and holding your course!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So I blew the spiders and axle gears in my suburban while a few hundred miles from home. It's a 1/2 ton with a 10 bolt and 3.73s. Limped it to a buddy's house in 4x4 and have a place to work on it. Got new gears and a pin for it, was about to throw them in and call it a day when I noticed the carrier was smashed up where the spiders go. I've got a carrier from another car laying around that I should be able to bolt my ring gear to and toss right in. Only problem is that I don't know the first thing about shimming a rear and from what I read it looks like I don't have a lot of the tools required to do so anyway.

I'm in a real bind right now, I've been living out of my truck and everything I own is in the back. I need to get back up from CT to NH for a job interview soon and I have less than $100 to my name so buying a whole new rear or paying a shop to fix it is out of the question :whymewhyme:. I'm seriously considering just throwing it together using the same shims that are in there now and hoping for the best. What are the odds that it won't blow up on me if I do that? Has anyone here ever successfully changed a carrier without shimming it? Is it common to be able to do that? I understand that it is not the right way to do it but I'm kind of out of options and running out of time. Am I just screwed or could it work?
An old thread but yes i did. I swapped from a 12 bolt 3.07 rear open to a 10 bolt 3.42 aftermaket clutch posi unit... i swapped in my axles, the new posi carrier with the 3.42 ring from the new rear and stuffed it all together just as it was taken apart. Still rocking it daily with a long highway trip every now and then. Only problem i came too was the pinion seal gave out. Glad to hear you made out allright

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115