Hydroboost worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Unless you have a diesel, or a super high-performance gasser (Even in these cases, an external vacuum pump can solve most issues with a vacuum booster setup), I really don't see how hydroboost is going to matter much. My 2500 with the hydroboost system has never given me an issue, but it is not enough of a noticeable upgrade for me to consider converting my 1/2 ton truck.

There is also the disadvantage of having your power brakes and steering depend on each other. If you leak fluid or shred a belt, your truck is now harder to steer and stop.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
My brakes do work pretty good. And don't really care on what it looks like under the hood. One day I would like to put a full floater in the back but I got to paint it first so thats going to be down the road.

The wife's truck has hydroboost on her escalade and I'm not overly fond on how they feel compared to my suburban to tell you the truth after driving it today. I only really drive it once and a while or when something needs to be fixed which is pretty rare.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Nothing wong with a vauum booster on a stock application... but Hydroboost is double the brake line pressure of a vacuum system. When your brakes start fading going down multiple grades or you're towing, the hydroboost won't fade nearly as much.

In my son's c10 application, we plan to do some occasional autocrossing and road courses. You either need a hydroboost or no booster as you can't build vacuum in those conditions. Yes you can have a vacuum pump, and my turbo car had one from the factory, but it still couldn't keep up on a winding mountain road. We also plan to add a small supercharger on my son's truck which will further compound the issue.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
I love mine! :)

Attachments

• _DSC4725.jpg
    _DSC4725.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 47

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I have a good friend, (brother) that is giving me a 84 Burb has hydra boost, gonna put it on my truck. I tow and haul quite a bit, and the hydra boost will fit my needs. Wife hates that I am getting another truck, my fourth Square. Also not to happy about the 71 ford f250...but it's cool.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I have a good friend, (brother) that is giving me a 84 Burb has hydra boost, gonna put it on my truck. I tow and haul quite a bit, and the hydra boost will fit my needs. Wife hates that I am getting another truck, my fourth Square. Also not to happy about the 71 ford f250...but it's cool.
You're welcome to send the Ford to me to try make her happier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84