Hydroboost worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
So I got thus 96 chevy 2500. Should I be taking the hydroboost system out of it while I got it for my suburban. Thanks.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I got thus 96 chevy 2500. Should I be taking the hydroboost system out of it while I got it for my suburban. Thanks.
I would! My old Suburban had one and our CC has one and I like the way that they feel so I added one to the C10.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Of course.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A curious why do you recommend hydroboost? Base GM PB are very good. Those systems were original only on higher GVW vehicles. Hydroboost has additional hoses and an expensive booster to leak and at some point, will.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Vacuum booster/hoses end up leaking at some point too. HB is nice for a number of reasons. Low vacuum situations being one of them. They’re just heavier duty. Though I concede, many applications would be fine with a vac assist unit.

I replaced my lines, but I don’t recall why. I think they just looked old, but one may’ve been weeping at a crimp. My HB unit is original. Now that I’ve jinxed it…

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Got an old vehicle? Those hoses don't fare so well after 10-20 years. If you're going to tow a load HB is very nice. With PB, it makes you wonder. Either go HB or slow down. Either setup is good.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Seeing how you are taking a hydroboost from a GMT400, I would be worried that the push rod is not the same length. GM had many different applications for the hydroboost and even getting replacement parts has been hard to procure the correct ones.

The power steering pump for the booster and steering gear has a slightly higher volume as well as two returns. The '96 probably has a different belt drive as well. Belt drives have their own wear issues too.

Since the brake booster receives the oil first, in a low RPM situation, braking hard, you can have a loss in steering assist. When everything is working correctly, this does not happen. But worn or slipping belt, low oil or low engine RPM, all can be an issue at the worst time.

My opinion, I would not make the swap.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I'm at the shop tomorrow and going to take another look at it. My one concern when looking at it the first time was hooking it up to the brake pedal. Also could I not just use the master cylinder from the 96?

I already have a serpentine belt system in my truck already so the pump should just transfer over. I hope.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Vacuum booster/hoses end up leaking at some point too. HB is nice for a number of reasons. Low vacuum situations being one of them. They’re just heavier duty. Though I concede, many applications would be fine with a vac assist unit.

I replaced my lines, but I don’t recall why. I think they just looked old, but one may’ve been weeping at a crimp. My HB unit is original. Now that I’ve jinxed it…
Yeah, good point on low vacuum/ big cams. Agree everything eventually needs repair. On my commercial fleet they were expensive to maintain. Don't know what the boosters cost today. We had to buy new AC Delco replacements. The rebuilts weren't any good. Just seems to me if HB isn't needed why go there.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A curious why do you recommend hydroboost? Base GM PB are very good. Those systems were original only on higher GVW vehicles. Hydroboost has additional hoses and an expensive booster to leak and at some point, will.
Google. Just because something is good doesn't mean there's something better. If GM thought vacuum was the end all why did they offer hydro?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm at the shop tomorrow and going to take another look at it. My one concern when looking at it the first time was hooking it up to the brake pedal. Also could I not just use the master cylinder from the 96?

I already have a serpentine belt system in my truck already so the pump should just transfer over. I hope.

Does the '96 have disc or drum rear brakes? Different master cylinder for rear disc's.

You could always try it. If the parts don't fit, put the old one's back.

As @fast 99 stated, the rebuilt units never seamed to work out well. We had GM 3500's in our fleet too. More maintenance needed for them compared to trucks with just a vacuum booster.

Google. Just because something is good doesn't mean there's something better. If GM thought vacuum was the end all why did they offer hydro?
Yes, the hydro booster gives you more push. But do you need it on a lighter truck? Our medium duty trucks have air brakes, why, because they need them.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
A curious why do you recommend hydroboost?

For a big lumpy cam ;)

They're also kinda nice looking compared to vacuum units.

ETA: Just noticed you already discussed that, I posted too soon

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, that's kind of the question. Assume because hydroboost was primarily used on higher GVW vehicles, GM thought it was either more dependable, durable, safer or had more assist. Don't think they were more durable. From a manufacturing standpoint it had to be more expensive. I am not saying they are better or worse from an operational point of view. My original question was why convert a decent good working system to HB? Got a good logical answer, big cam.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, that's kind of the question. Assume because hydroboost was primarily used on higher GVW vehicles, GM thought it was either more dependable, durable, safer or had more assist. Don't think they were more durable. From a manufacturing standpoint it had to be more expensive. I am not saying they are better or worse from an operational point of view. My original question was why convert a decent good working system to HB? Got a good logical answer, big cam.
If you're happy with what you have, leave it alone. You want better, then go for it. Some people like hamburgers, others like steak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg