Hunting for...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
@Scott91370,... when was the last time you selected "vent" on your heater a/c control slider and that kick panel vent didn't move? If so, then you need a vacuum pot for that door as well.

Never, the truck hasn't run or been together enough since I bought it to try the controls. But both do move when I apply vacuum to them so the diaphragms should be in good shap.

@Scott91370 I found this alternate part number GM 15606307 and ebay search. This has the later vacuum pod with a bigger nipple, but you can install yours or run an adapter fitting. Action says 5 are available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-87-Ch...door-C-K-81-87-C-10-K-10-C20-K5-/192889515818

I appreciate that! And that's a good price too! It must have been newer since I searched, there were two at the time; one looked like mine and the other looked to be painted all black. Wasn't sure on either.

I went ahead and cut the rest of the plastic 'hinge' part and put two 2" stainless (hoping they don't rust) hinges on it and it works great now. Thanks for all the input!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Craig 85,

Are those doors plastic? That would be better than the metal ones like in my truck. It's been a long time since I pulled mine out, I've actually forgotten what the door in the valance one is made out of.

The kick panel door in my truck is metal, I know that. It's okay, no rust.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
The one in the outside cowl/valance is plastic but the one in the passenger footwell is metal.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
That valance door is what let's fresh air into the cab from that kick panel door. When you select "vent" both of those doors should open at the same time. I hope your engine is creating enough vacuum to pull that hard. Have you tried to push on that kick panel door? That spring is a booger!
My engine creates 17 inches of vacuum at idle. If you don't believe it I'll take a pic and show you. But I don't know how much vacuum it would take to open that kick panel door. I know the valance one doesn't take much at all. Any pot that's till on those panels will be as old as the truck! Think about it.

I installed my kick panel vent and it only opens on "max" which I thought was wierd. It does not open on "vent", which I also find weird. So if it opens on "max" what should I look for to fix so it works on "vent"????? It is like something is wonky with the vacuum lines, but I haven't changed anything - control or lines.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I installed my kick panel vent and it only opens on "max" which I thought was wierd. It does not open on "vent", which I also find weird. So if it opens on "max" what should I look for to fix so it works on "vent"????? It is like something is wonky with the vacuum lines, but I haven't changed anything - control or lines.

The kick panel vent only opens on Max to recirculate air. It also closes the vent/flap outside the cowl to control the amount of fresh air. All other positions on the A/C controls are fresh air.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
The kick panel vent only opens on Max to recirculate air. It also closes the vent/flap outside the cowl to control the amount of fresh air. All other positions on the A/C controls are fresh air.

Thanks Criag85 - Just seems backwards to me. "Vent" to me is venting outside air in. I will assume that I still have the cowl flap. I know I have the pod - will have to check. But it is what it is and all is working correctly.........Thank!!!! Goodness!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara