Hubcaps 101

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
So I was wondering a couple things on the hubcaps. First thing is what is the best way to make sure I don't lose them.on the road? Or do they pop on well enough that this isn't an issue. Second thing is what the best way to get them off without damaging them? The place I bought my tires from offers free rotation, bit I would like to be able to take them off before I go so the tire guy doesn't mess them up.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
do they pop on well enough that this isn't an issue.

You can usually tell - if they fit properly onto the raised nubs on the rim, it shouldn't be too easy. A tight fit is indicated when a good rap with a rubber mallet (or the side of your fist) is required. If that needs to be done in a couple of places before the cover seats all around, that's even better.

Second thing is what the best way to get them off without damaging them?

When popping the hubcaps off, the biggest concern is not about damaging the cap but rather damage to the rim. I use a standard flat bar (like a Stanley Wonderbar) with a few turns of duct tape wrapped around the fulcrum point;

You must be registered for see images attach

The tape prevents the rim paint from being damaged as you pry the cover off the nubs.

I sandblasted my rims, primed with a light coat of Rust Reformer, applied two coats of appliance Appliance Epoxy and baked them in the oven. The surface is a hard and smooth as porcelain - and highly chip resistant. After all that - I don't want to wreck them while popping a hub cap. This shows one of my original 1986 rims:

You must be registered for see images attach

I would like to be able to take them off before I go so the tire guy doesn't mess them up.

All tire places have that tool recommended by glockholiday. As long as they use that tool to pop the covers, both your rims and hub caps should be safe from damage. It is basically just the same two tools that I use (rubber mallet & flat bar) combined into one.

Last edited:

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I'll definitely look into that tool. I had the idea of buying a cheap flathead screwdriver and bending it, looks like what they did too. How long did you make your wheels, and at what temp? I might look into doing that when the time comes to do mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP