HT 383 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Spent a good part of the day moving the accessories and whatnot over to the new engine. Called a guy who does a lot of engine work and he said I need to buy an aftermarket TV cable bracket that bolts under the stock q-jet carb.

And as far as the coolant sensor thing- I removed the 1/2" NPT fitting on my intake manifold and could NOT screw in my stock coolant temp sensor. The way they machined the intake manifold there isn't room for the probe part to protrude inside the manifold. Looks like I'll just try to buy an aftermarket gauge locally. I didn't want to do that- but it will be more accurate than the factory gauge. Since I don't have AC I'm thinking of mounting the gauge in the little cubby hole the dash has on the upper right. A 2-1/16" gauge will fit nicely there I think.

My last possible surprise I found today is the GM high flow fuel pump. That thing is so big the case of it hits my motor mount. It is way bigger than the stock pump. The lower 1/2 of it you can clock it around so that the inlet and outlets can point a different direction (they are 180* out from each other). I was hoping to bolt it on with the engine out, but since there is clearance issues looks like I'll fiddle with it when the engine is installed. That "should" happen tomorrow.

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

So whats wrong with your current TV cable? After market is really no different from stock. What you will need is a Throttle/TV cable bracket. TCI has a good one for qaudjets. I like it because it bolts to the carb so it works no matter what height you manifold is.
You must be registered for see images attach

Part # 376700

What is the purpose of that monster fuel pump? You can only use so much fuel at one time you know. I would send it back and go with a stock one or an electric unit with a regulator.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh and don't forget to grease the inside of the mechanical fuel pump arm pivot with some assembly grease, unless yours says specifically not to.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
So whats wrong with your current TV cable? After market is really no different from stock. What you will need is a Throttle/TV cable bracket. TCI has a good one for qaudjets. I like it because it bolts to the carb so it works no matter what height you manifold is.

Part # 376700

What is the purpose of that monster fuel pump? You can only use so much fuel at one time you know. I would send it back and go with a stock one or an electric unit with a regulator.

That TCI one does look pretty nice. I saw some very cheap ones that only bolt on to one corner of the carb and looked like they could pivot around. I had to order aftermarket because my stock one no is not compatible with the vortec manifold. The old style ones mount at an angle on the intake manifold- the new one is flat.... so when I tried to bolt it on the bracket hits the valve cover itself.

And the fuel pump is what GM recommended for that engine. I got so sick of reading reviews and what might or might not work I just read the install manual from GM for that engine. They recommended that fuel pump, and they recommended a distributor they made also. It was supposed to make things easier... :whymewhyme:

Basically I used what they did for reliability testing and when they did dyno testing on them. They claim it needs a fuel pump that can maintain 6-7 psi at WOT and can pump 72 gallons per hour. The pump has a built in fuel pressure regulator. I have no idea stock pump ratings are.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Oh and don't forget to grease the inside of the mechanical fuel pump arm pivot with some assembly grease, unless yours says specifically not to.

Yep- did that. Coated it with moly assembly lube. And they say I need to coat the distributor gear with it also when I drop it in.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Get the TCI bracket for the qaudjet everything else is a waste of time. It looks good too when its all mounted. I think it was $27. I wish I could find one like that for the Edelbrock carb.

Im not sure off the top of my head but im pretty sure their not even close to 73. But that's only if you have it at WOT for an hour!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep- did that. Coated it with moly assembly lube. And they say I need to coat the distributor gear with it also when I drop it in.

Not a bad idea

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I wonder if GM would send you the same pump for a big block. Id like to see that fit lol

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

Part # 376700

I ordered that one also- the Edelbrock one is on the way also. I can see how the TCI one could be better. And the Edelbrock one said it didn't have a place for the throttle return spring to hook up.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

Part # 376700

I ordered that one also- the Edelbrock one is on the way also. I can see how the TCI one could be better. And the Edelbrock one said it didn't have a place for the throttle return spring to hook up.

The TCI one has no provision for a throttle return spring either so I just drilled a small 3/16 hole in it, works great and easy to do.

I think you will like the TCI one better, Sadly it looks like 8031 is my only choice for the Eddy carb. Damn TV cable anyway lol

I seriously think the next fuel upgrade I do will be a fast EFI system. Then my options for transmissions opens up a fair bit. 4l80:)

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Today's update:

Got up late due to driving back home at 1am. Picked something easy to do at first. Filled up oil filter with oil and put in 4.5 quarts into the engine. Bolted up the flex plate, bell housing bolts, installed the starter and power steering pump. Installed the belts. Crawled back under to install the exhaust and bumped the oil pan with my arm. It is wet?!? There is fresh oil on it in 2 points that were about to drip. After checking the oil fill plug was tight I was very confused. Couldn't find evidence of it leaking. 20 minutes or so later I checked the giant bag the crate engine came in. It had a small puddle of oil in it also.... so it was from the factory that way and just spilled out while shipping. Heart rate/blood pressure back down to normal. :whymewhyme:

Installed my monster fuel pump to find my 90* inlet fitting hits the frame half of my motor mount. Aw crap. Drove to Autozone (only parts place I haven't been to yet) and they had a 3/8" NPT to 3/8" hose elbow that is 1/4" shorter than the adapter and elbow I was using. It should clear now.... I'll find out tomorrow.

My mechanic tried to convert my old divorced style choke to electric choke and said he couldn't figure out how to do it. I thought it was just removing the coil part for an electric coil part but he said the housing itself it also different. I know nothing about carbs.... he suggested just converting it to a manual choke. I'll look into that more tomorrow.

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Couldn't sleep. Did some research on carbs. Apparently a divorced choke is hard to convert to electric because nothing is the same on the side of it:

You must be registered for see images

I've seen a lot of info on converting from electric choke to manual, but not much on divorced choke to manual. Ugh.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The newer qaudjets with the electric choke are better carbs all the way around with larger float bowls and other little things. You want as new as possible with out the electronic junk.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
The newer qaudjets with the electric choke are better carbs all the way around with larger float bowls and other little things. You want as new as possible with out the electronic junk.

Well- crap. While having the engine out I had my old carb rebuilt. Since I just put money into it, and this engine has cost more than I wanted I'm going to have to make this one do for now.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It'll be ok. Those older q jets are jetted lil more rich than the 75-76 that is preferred. It'll do just fine on you 383. Until it gets cold outside.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I am wondering if the newer vortec heads have a different temp sensor threaded hole diameter. I got my heads from GM Performance in 2007 and my temp sensor swapped over no problem.

I am taking note of your whoas because I was looking to get one of those motors for my smog exempt truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theshawnR