HT 383 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I am wondering if the newer vortec heads have a different temp sensor threaded hole diameter. I got my heads from GM Performance in 2007 and my temp sensor swapped over no problem.

I am taking note of your whoas because I was looking to get one of those motors for my smog exempt truck.

I think GM stopped using the 1/2" NPT cooling sensors in 1979. So it looks like your truck is a 1981, so you have the newer style and it wasn't an issue.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Do you have any pics of this TCI bracket installed? I'm just not picturing how it bolts to the carb, and how the trans cable and throttle cable go thru it.

EDIT: For some reason I thought it bolt along the side of the carb, as I've seen some that do that. This one would replace the stock throttle cable bracket that goes along the back of of the carb right? My brain stopped working about an hour ago.

So whats wrong with your current TV cable? After market is really no different from stock. What you will need is a Throttle/TV cable bracket. TCI has a good one for qaudjets. I like it because it bolts to the carb so it works no matter what height you manifold is.
You must be registered for see images attach

Part # 376700

What is the purpose of that monster fuel pump? You can only use so much fuel at one time you know. I would send it back and go with a stock one or an electric unit with a regulator.

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
So today got everything on, filled up the oil and coolant. Pumped the oil thru the engine with a oil pump tool. And even though I'm still having TV cable bracket issues I wanted to see if the truck would start.

Nope. Turns out I need a different starter. I knew there was something about GM used 2 different flex plates. One has 153, and the other had something like 168. When I first opened the crate on the new engine I figured instead of counting teeth I could just measure how far apart each one was. (more teeth would mean they are closer together). Both were 1/4" apart. I was wrong.

The new engine has a 12.75" flexplate. My old truck has a 14" flexplate. So when I brought over my old starter it bolted right up, but cannot reach the flexplate.

And also learned a way to tell starters apart. Starters for the larger 14" have the starter mounting holes staggered. Starters for the smaller 12.75" have the holes straight across. Maybe most already know that- I sure didn't.

The block is drilled for both starters. I'm not going to swap out the flexplate, so I'm going to buy a new starter. No updates tomorrow as I'm going to be traveling out of town.

This is what the new starter will look like. Ordered it thru Amazon prime. Genuine GM Performance 12361146 High-Torque Mini Starter

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
do you have any pics of this tci bracket installed? I'm just not picturing how it bolts to the carb, and how the trans cable and throttle cable go thru it.

Edit: For some reason i thought it bolt along the side of the carb, as i've seen some that do that. This one would replace the stock throttle cable bracket that goes along the back of of the carb right? My brain stopped working about an hour ago.

The old school ones were just a throttle cable bracket that mounted to the back of the carb just like this TCI one but the stock brackets for the th350 kickdown and 700r4 TV cable brackets mounted to the intake and were not attached to the carb.

I like this TCI bracket when using a qaudjet because the bracket will always be aligned with carb due to the fact that it mounts to the carb. So you can change intakes and spacers and never have to worry about having to alter your bracket setup.

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
here the kit i used on my divorce style choke to convert to electric choke http://www.ebay.com/itm/350-Chevy-S..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item4d0e728e3e i get all my rebuild kits and parts from these guys CarbJunkeys

Got all excited for a second until I saw this: This Conversion unit mounts on your intake manifold, in place of the Remote Choke Assembly.

My new manifold has no mounting spot on it for a remote choke. I'd have to make a bracket or something to bolt it on to and then the height of it might be off.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Got all excited for a second until I saw this: This Conversion unit mounts on your intake manifold, in place of the Remote Choke Assembly.

My new manifold has no mounting spot on it for a remote choke. I'd have to make a bracket or something to bolt it on to and then the height of it might be off.

Or just find a carb like in my pics and sell your divorced one

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Or just find a carb like in my pics and sell your divorced one

Yep, true. Which reminds me... I need to make sure I keep my divorced choke off of my old engine and keep it somewhere safe. I've heard a lot of the new aftermarket divorced chokes are not made well.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep, true. Which reminds me... I need to make sure I keep my divorced choke off of my old engine and keep it somewhere safe. I've heard a lot of the new aftermarket divorced chokes are not made well.

you mean the wound spring ?

I had to buy the Edelbrock spring to fit the taller Edelbrock 2101 manifold. never had any problems with it. But the stock ones only fit stock manifolds because of the height difference.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I think GM stopped using the 1/2" NPT cooling sensors in 1979. So it looks like your truck is a 1981, so you have the newer style and it wasn't an issue.

Okay, that makes sense. Yeah mine is an '81.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
So got up early and started on the truck again. Installed the new starter. It is lighter, smaller, and easier to maneuver in place.

picture.php

Then tried to install the inspection cover. Cover doesn't fit due to the mounting block on the starter. A cutoff wheel fixed this.

picture.php

The TCI throttle/transmission cable bracket doesn't work.... guess it might work if your truck has a 700R4 as the transmission cable for them is shorter from the mounting bracket to the carb. On mine the cable needs to extend 8" or so back towards the disctrubutor (not the same distance back as the throttle cable). A bracket made by Specter didn't work. Wouldn't fit on the carb. Bought one made by MR Gasket. It worked with some grinding, then I drilled a hole in it to tap a bolt (the bolt drops into a dowel pin type hole on the base of the carb). This prevents the bracket from twisting.

picture.php

Since I still don't have a functional choke I temporarily installed a manual choke cable. Not happy with it at all... due to how the linkage on the carb is, it operates backwards. I have to push the cable in when it is cold. Then as it warms up, pull the cable out.

Turned the key... and the truck started cranking! The new starter does make a bit different noise with the gear reduction, and it does crank the engine faster. Once fuel got up to the engine it fired right up. Followed GM's break in procedure for 30+ miles, then drove back to my garage to change the oil.

So far don't have much of an opinion on it. It did go up some gentle hills easier than the old engine. The most noticeable thing is the truck's exhaust is louder now. Before it seems the exhaust note was lower and more "mellow". Now it is more raspy and actually kinda annoying around 2,300. Not like I'm unhappy with it- it was just a shocking observation. And it is very responsive right off of idle.

I still need to mount my aftermarket gauges. I also just noticed that my taillights no longer work. They worked before?!? And also I need to figure out why my alternator V belt (brand new) keeps flipping upside down. I just put it in correctly and started the truck. Within 10 seconds it flips upside down again. Never personally had this happen before.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That's a bummer about the bracket. I just assumed you had the other style cable. My bad.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
That's a bummer about the bracket. I just assumed you had the other style cable. My bad.

And I didn't know there were 2 styles. I did learn a lot on this project. The newer shorter style ones just clip on to the carb. The older longer ones (like mine) have a long metal slotted piece that slides over the "nub" on the throttle linkage.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes. The after market cables usually give you both ends to choose from. They both do the same thing. Just the later style is easier to work with. IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67