How To Refurbish Your Dashpad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Can anyone link me to a thread that shows how to take the dash off without ruining it?

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Can anyone link me to a thread that shows how to take the dash off without ruining it?
If you are talking the Dash/instrument cluster, There is a video on LMC showing how to remove. and as far as the dash pad goes, it really is a piece of cake. Just take out the 4 screws where it meets the metal above the Glove box and with the instruments out. it should just pop out when you pull on the Defroster vents. And there might be a video on Brothers and LMC on pulling the old one out.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Let me wake the dead here... i just scored an oem dash pad thats in killer shape for its age,1 little crack. How do i got about painting it to match my factory color so i can swap them? Heres a picture of the new pad.

You must be registered for see images attach

What happened with that deal anyway?

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

:cool: Cool Nic!

Never came up with a definative answer on how to paint it so its currently standing in my hall closet.

Not a big deal ? Gotta take the shine out of what ya got and then make new paint stick. Ain't hard.
Acetone + a brillo?
Joo like it teh pinchè BRILLO?!:D

Coulda been finished already BUT! I sure as hell would do the door panels too?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
:cool: Cool Nic!

Not a big deal ? Gotta take the shine out of what ya got and then make new paint stick. Ain't hard.
Acetone + a brillo?
Joo like it teh pinchè BRILLO?!:D

Coulda been finished already BUT! I sure as hell would do the door panels too?
Door panels are crusty and breaking apart. Not worth it

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Dang dude!

That makes me sad. :(

Waste of paint even for a door panel?

:boxed: Wat color u need?
POWer ooorrr???
Buckskin non power. Silverado trim. Ill get pics,of my sad panels tomorrow

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Great job. Not sure if this would be hijacking or not (I try not to), but has anyone tried this on a square? Of course the main preliminary work posted here by the OP would be required....

I bought a dash for $20 with cracks in it so I could finish it then just do a swap in my daily driver.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Nice work

Vacilando2

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Awesome post with impressive results! New to the forum here and looking for solutions like this one to refurbish a pretty cracked up dashboard. Going to give this a shot and hoping to have half as good results! This post is a few years old and I am not seeing the topic addressed with any better results more recently. Just reaching out to see if anyone out there has learned anything more, or if there are any more recent products I should be looking at/considering before I begin. Thanks in advance!

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Awesome post with impressive results! New to the forum here and looking for solutions like this one to refurbish a pretty cracked up dashboard. Going to give this a shot and hoping to have half as good results! This post is a few years old and I am not seeing the topic addressed with any better results more recently. Just reaching out to see if anyone out there has learned anything more, or if there are any more recent products I should be looking at/considering before I begin. Thanks in advance!

I just completed refurbishing our dash pad using this method recently. One thing to make sure you do is after shaving off the extra foam, make sure that the repaired cracks are depressed a little bit so that after you fill with plastic weld and sand down the plastic weld level with the rest of the dash pad, you don't end up completely sanding it off. That is the main tip that I think will help make the finish better. I didn't recess the foamed areas, so when I was finished, the repaired areas are just a bit higher than the rest of the dash.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I just completed refurbishing our dash pad using this method recently. One thing to make sure you do is after shaving off the extra foam, make sure that the repaired cracks are depressed a little bit so that after you fill with plastic weld and sand down the plastic weld level with the rest of the dash pad, you don't end up completely sanding it off. That is the main tip that I think will help make the finish better. I didn't recess the foamed areas, so when I was finished, the repaired areas are just a bit higher than the rest of the dash.

totally agree

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Been working on the used dashpad I've been working on. Wasn't sure if I should start another dash repair thread or throw it into the one that's already started. Admins please advise.

Anyway, pic heavy. I started with loc-tite's version of great stuff. As a final coat I decided to go with Total Boats Flex Epoxy. Seems to work very well and has a consistency of molasses. I almost wish I didn't use the "great stuff" at all. You can see the sink on the drivers side. I'll fill that in as well. I plan to put something in where the speakers were and fill it in. The pain in the ass is the transition from drivers side to passenger side.

This stuff takes about 24 hours to dry, so if you use it, cover as much as you can so the project doesn't drag out longer than needed. The kit was ~$60 on amazon. I'm currently just below the top of the label....so I've got plenty still.

I did take some of it that drained/pooled onto the work bench and tested it. Pretty firm but still a little flexible. I put the heat gun to it and it softened up really well. I could fold the 3" diameter piece back on itself without cracking. After cooling off it was again more rigid.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Adding some additional posts to this thread for other ideas, methods and comparison.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike