How to change the Drum Breaks on the rear Axle for a 1 Ton? Kinda in over my head...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRokk

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
350 5.7 V8
Alright everyone, I have a 1973 GMC Sierra 1500, Almost all Original with rust. I need help and maybe photo references to show me how to change the Back 1 Ton Axle that is in the rear. I bought it for $850.00 Tuesday. She has a Cb, 5th Wheel Hitch made into the bed, Warn Winch on the front 3/4 ton front axle and is Original Blue. She has a 4 Speed Manual transmission. And has been sitting for 5 years, I bought the truck because I love the Square Bodies. And I haul trailers when I am not on duty or on call as a Fire Fighter. I have asked for help around me and none of my friends know how to change the Drum Breaks, I have a problem with the drums dis-engaging. So can someone with Step by Step help me fix the problem?

-Jeff

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
First you need to know exactly what the rear axle is. I'm assuming it's a full float type 14 bolt rear axle. Remove the 8 bolts from the axle shaft flange (center of wheel) and slide the axle shaft out of the housing. Then inside the center there will be a hub retaining nut with a lock nut on top of that. There were at least a couple different styles used over the years and you will need a special socket. Then you can pull out the bearing that is behind the nut, then finally slide the hub and drum off as an assembly. Be prepared to support the weight of the hub and drum so you don't ruin the grease seal on the back of the hub.

Also, a repair manual will be a good investment if you plan on always repairing your truck yourself and you're not exactly sure what you're doing.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Damn I thought I posted on this last night? Must have forgot to hit Submit...
:emotions122:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think a similar question was asked in another thread.

TRokk

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
350 5.7 V8
Again guys, I have a One ton rear end, and its not a six lug, its a eight lug, its kinda odd to see one in the back of a 25 Hundred GMC from 73, I didn't put it in, I just bought the truck and it was there. But it does have possi. I think its great to have when I am hauling a 5th wheel or goose neck. The Drums are only like 10lbs, there not that heavy. Just thought you all might wanna throw me a few things. I haven't worked on breaks for a while. I am used to messing with Duramax trucks. >.> its kinda odd messing with a gasoline truck, but I am sure I will remember something. Oh ya, forgot I passed the test for this stuff without having to open the book. :/ kinda a pain in the @** when book work is harder then looking at the pictures and doing it. I always stay hands on. its better to learn from mistakes then follow someone else who probability screwed up more times then yourself.

Mater08

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
Most all 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks are 8 lug unless its a light duty. A truck new enough to have a duramax is definitely different then a square style chevy even with a diesel, however the only difference between working on a diesel truck and a gas truck (given the same years) is ones a gas engine and the other is a diesel engine. Everything else is pretty much the exact same. We need to know what type of rear end you have before we can help explain to you how to go about fixing the brakes along with what's wrong. I can explain to you how to simply replace them given the type of rear end you have (although the physical brake is the same, just how you get to it is different), but I cant tell you how to fix whats wrong until I know what problems you are having. Is it a full floating rear end (most likely) or a semi floating rear end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey