How long is the speedometer cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denisj

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 High Sierra Heavy Half
Engine Size
I have a 79 reg cab 2wd 350/th350 rig without cruise control

I can not seem to find a solid answer on how long the speedometer cable should be. I don't have the old one to be able to measure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I just went through this same Mickey Mouse show on my car. Couldn’t find any info on the matter, and GM had an upper and lower cable on a car with a VSS buffer. I don’t know if they were just lazy and kept using the same kind, or they made way too many. I think the upper and lower combined length on your truck is 79” (my factory cable length was 78”) so you could go with the one I got, Pioneer CA3001 (80”), or NAPA has an 84” Balkamp cable, but it’s like $20 vs. the $10 Pioneer cable. The Pioneer works fine, and I was glad to get rid of my gunky, pointless two-piece factory cable. I think 80” inches will be plenty because it can just double back toward the firewall instead of going to the cruise transducer sitting on the inner fender. Hope this helps. The internet is clueless on this particular matter, and the parts stores and websites even more so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man