how hard is it to rebuild a 205 - what might be needed from a shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but I have the same question about my NP 243. the only reason I'm thinking rebuild is it's leaking and I don't think it's coming from any of the shaft seals since I've done those recently. I'm wondering if I could just split it open and reseal the halves. But if I do that maybe I should just put a rebuild kit in it?

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I rebuilt mine. No special tools needed, no presses, no special snap ring pliers (just a basic set). You just need a deadblow and some punches and a larger diameter bar and a screwdriver. If you're careful you can seat seals and bearings with a hammer and a plastic rod. (I'm ready for the flaming :popcorn:)

@AuroraGirl here's a good guide: http://www.wideopen4x4.com/NP205RebuildGuide.html

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I rebuilt mine. No special tools needed, no presses, no special snap ring pliers (just a basic set). You just need a deadblow and some punches and a larger diameter bar and a screwdriver. If you're careful you can seat seals and bearings with a hammer and a plastic rod. (I'm ready for the flaming :popcorn:)

@AuroraGirl here's a good guide: http://www.wideopen4x4.com/NP205RebuildGuide.html
Nice. by deadblow do you mean brass hammer or do you mean just a 3 pound sledge kinda thing

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
tubeofsand beat ya to it lol. He was just tellin me about a hammer that has little trucks inside for deadblow uses

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Lol, I tend to not read much.

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
. ... This is a great np 205 video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Yes , you need a press , the small home built tool to press out bearing races . Dont just put in new bearings on old races. To do it right you need to set case crush on center idler gear with a dial indicator , a Harbor freight unit will do. Its a simple operation. Take fotos as your disassembling. No video has every answer so document your own and take notes like I did. Dont be intimidated, you can do it , go slow especially on tear down. Boil all your parts out using TSP. You mentioned the Sm465. I rebuilt that as well. Its trickier / harder than the transfer case manuevering the lower shaft out. I got tons of fotos for reference if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84