How does the oil gauge function? Mine is pegged to the right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’d open it up and find it myself... that wire loom is cheap... I can’t stand random dead wires in a loom. It’ll make me go bananas if I find it 5 years later

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I’d open it up and find it myself... that wire loom is cheap... I can’t stand random dead wires in a loom. It’ll make me go bananas if I find it 5 years later
I get you, but man that is going to be really hard to get to. With a 6" lift, 35" tires, and the fact that it's clear at the back and behind the engine, I'm not sure how I'll reach it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My 98 has a 4 link in the front with a solid axle. I couldn’t tell you what it is over stock. I use a wooden ladder and lay my across whatever I need to to play with the engine/ wiring. It sucks but it’s also why I do stuff myself. I don’t want it 1/2 ass done by someone who doesn’t care about the truck like I do. I dunno how old you are or how long you plan on keeping the truck. But doing it right today will make you happy tomorrow

Tonyg123

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc
Engine Size
If memory serves me 69 to 72 had mechanical guages and an oil line from back of intake manifold ran to oil guage in dash
If it is in fact an electrcal guage it will have a tan wire running from the sending unit on the back of the manifold to the connector on the firewall and i believe it is fused and then run to the gauge.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I got this all fixed and working, thanks to you guys!

The old sending unit looked crusty, so at about $30 for a nice new one from NAPA, I figured what the hell. I took the old one off (which incidentally, the PO tighten down way too hard because some brass on the stem was squished). I also ran a nice new wire to that D6 spot that was pointed out, fired the truck up, and I have a functioning oil pressure gauge!

It's so nice to finally have this working. Thanks again for the help.
You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I got this all fixed and working, thanks to you guys!

The old sending unit looked crusty, so at about $30 for a nice new one from NAPA, I figured what the hell. I took the old one off (which incidentally, the PO tighten down way too hard because some brass on the stem was squished). I also ran a nice new wire to that D6 spot that was pointed out, fired the truck up, and I have a functioning oil pressure gauge!

It's so nice to finally have this working. Thanks again for the help.

What angle did you get it from. My gauge bounces around like either a bad connection or sending unit going bad. I have one on the shelf that I bought on an order awhile ago from Rock Auto. But when I saw it wasn't going to just be easy to get to I just put it on the shelf.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
What angle did you get it from. My gauge bounces around like either a bad connection or sending unit going bad. I have one on the shelf that I bought on an order awhile ago from Rock Auto. But when I saw it wasn't going to just be easy to get to I just put it on the shelf.
I removed the air cleaner, and then got on a ladder and was able to reach back there. It wasn't easy, but perfectly doable. Keep in mind there is a wrench fitting on the top that you can screw it down with. There is also a nut fitting at the bottom. I had to remove the old crusty and over tightened one at the base lower nut, because the top fitting would just spin independently.

So, just get it started by hand, and then use a ratchet open ended wrench to tighten it down, but don't get crazy with it.

Mine sat in my glove box for like 4 or 5 months, because I didn't feel like dealing with it, but I should have just done it sooner because it was no big deal

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I removed the air cleaner, and then got on a ladder and was able to reach back there. It wasn't easy, but perfectly doable. Keep in mind there is a wrench fitting on the top that you can screw it down with. There is also a nut fitting at the bottom. I had to remove the old crusty and over tightened one at the base lower nut, because the top fitting would just spin independently.

So, just get it started by hand, and then use a ratchet open ended wrench to tighten it down, but don't get crazy with it.

Mine sat in my glove box for like 4 or 5 months, because I didn't feel like dealing with it, but I should have just done it sooner because it was no big deal

I will revisit replacing mine. I have to put a new inline fuel filter on the truck as the one on there is a fee years old and has a good bit of crud in there. I run one on the frame rail before the mechanical fuel pump to catch all the trash before the pump and also to keep the little one in the carb cleaner longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tater81