How do you guys clean primer before top coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
I got my cab all primed and sanded and more or less ready to paint. I'm not sure that I'm getting all the sanding dust off the primer though. I started off using acetone, and quit, when I discovered that I could actually rub through the primer with that. Live and learn.... then I just went to some water, and changing rags pretty often, but I'm still not sure that I'm getting all the dust. What do you guys generally do, at this stage?

Aaron

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What primer did you use?

Generally after sanding the primer, you just blow it off and lightly wipe it down with a tack cloth.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
A coat of self etching with a couple coats of sandable primer over that. I got it from van sickle paints. You thin the sandable primer with lacquer thinner, if that helps ID what kind it is.

I hadn't thought of tack cloth, which is weird, since I'm mostly a woodworker...

Aaron

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
What primer did you use?

Generally after sanding the primer, you just blow it off and lightly wipe it down with a tack cloth.
^^^ This, blow it off while rubbing with your hand & a light wipe with tack cloth and air right before paint

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ok, so with old lacquer primer, you need to be sure that you are using a compatible top coat that won't attack it. Otherwise, the paint may not end up adhering well and then you've got all that work down the tubes.

I haven't used that type of primer in 20 years and I don't have experience with very many paint manufacturers to begin with, so you may be ok. But I do know that with some modern paints, if you can remove the base primer with lacquer thinner, then it needs stripped and have a compatible primer applied.

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
I use soap and water (dish soap) with a CLEAN rag. Don't use compressed air to blow off unless its filtered and all moisture removed. Oil from the compressor will ruin your paint job.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
If your sandable primer was low voc thinner based primer, a can of pre-cleaner goes a long way on a clean rag.
Eric

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I use soap and water (dish soap) with a CLEAN rag. Don't use compressed air to blow off unless its filtered and all moisture removed. Oil from the compressor will ruin your paint job.

That's a good point about having a filter/dryer setup on the air supply. But at the same time, if the OP would be blowing it off with unfiltered air, they would be using that same unfiltered air to apply the paint so it doesn't make a difference anyway. But yeah, definitely run a filter/dryer!

pnwnvrdn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
SBC
I wipe it down with PrepSol, then tack cloth.
Yes on the filter/dryer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL