How do i switch back to full time hubs from manual hubs??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ruedger455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kimber
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 grande sierra
Engine Size
My 77 gmc has the full time np203 and the previous owner put manual hubs on it. I just want to put it back to how it was before. What would i need to do that?

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
You'd need the gears that came with it, to put in place of the locking/unlocking hubs.

You need to find out if he also converted the transfer case.

If you have to be in "Hi Lock" to drive it, and it won't move in "Hi", then that is all you have to do.

If you want basically AWD, you simply lock your hubs in, and shift it into "Hi" instead of "Hi Lock" and you can drive freeway speeds.

Otherwise, why are you wanting to swap back?

If the transfer case has been converted, you have to pull it and open it up, and swap out parts. Probably easier to find another transfer case than find those parts. MOst people threw them out when they converted.

When I converted my truck back in the day, I left the transfer case alone, and simply drove in "Hi Lock".. As a result, the only change was the hubs, and Honestly, I would just leave the locking unlocking hubs on if I were you, and make sure the transfer case hasn't been converted. There's no downside to leaving the manual locking hubs on there..

ruedger455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kimber
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 grande sierra
Engine Size
The transfercase is still full time. I just didnt want to have to dick with the manual hubs all the time. They put them on there so they could drive it like a part time without converting the transfercase. And i figured it was made without manual hubs for a reason so i was gonna put it back to the way it was designed.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Just leave them locked in then..

Honestly, not everything as designed is the best way to run it.

If I ever got a full time 4x4 again, I'd put locking hubs on it in a heartbeat.

You don't have the heavy feeling when turning sharp, as the transfercase diff decides where to distribute power..

AWD uses more gas, it really does. Your steering isn't as clean. It's a noticeable difference.

I think you'll be looking for a long time for the parts, since just about everyone who had full time bought locking hubs, and pitched the solid gears, you will spend too much money, and you will basically have the same situation as if you simply drove it with the hubs locked in, and your transfer case in "hi"..

I may be able to find mine, it's just basically a big gear with a spline on the inside and on the outside that is held inplace by a spring and a dust cap on the outside.. Literally you are gaining nothing by switching back.

Unless you are simply trying to do a totally accurate factory restore, I'd not even bother.

ruedger455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kimber
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 grande sierra
Engine Size
Well then i guess that settles it lol it will be staying the way it is!! Im gonna change the manual hubs to warns because mine are a plastuc knock off brand and the cap is wobbly.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Sounds like a plan to me! Nothing wrong with your truck having some good locking hubs. It's the best of both worlds, you still have that all wheel drive if you need it for winter snow driving, but also have the option of unlocking the hubs, dirivng in "Hi Lock" and having a better driving experience, and better gasmileage when the pavement is clean. With the full time, you lose that option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS