How do I get to the clutch pedal bushings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I guess I should have asked at Oreillys when I was there. I'm still in town so I'll stop back by there and check.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
EXCUSE ME??? The only thing Tow Mater likes about Dodges, is all the money he makes off of them. .
I think it is the "Rusty Patina" that attracts Tow Mater.:drunk::jester:

That's cool info on the bushings. If the S10 bushings are different, at least NAPA prolly stocks them for SBs too.
YUP,I was surprized when the counter guy told Me that,they actually had them in stock.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
The hydro pedals are different from the manual ones . I think the hydro are shorter . But the bushings are little green pieces of rubber with a sleeve that goes inside of the ! You do not need to pull the whole assembly just for the clutch one . It's really easy ! To get to there's a nut an a bolt once you slid the bolt the pedel will fall but what's a pain in the ass is getting the spring back in there . As for the bushings . Well I couldn't find any neather ... So I had to make mine out a a Teflon bar . I took some mesurments and took it to work and cut one out on a layth feels good not sloppy ! But I'm sure there's some injaneatiy that you can find something hard and small enoungh to fit and work

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Hydro pedals are completely different.

If you're looking to take the whole pedal assembly out, plan on removing the steering column, and unbolting the brake booster from the firewall.

RottDaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
350 4bbl
I replaced the bushings on my '79 k15. I got them from Lmc, includes bushings for the brake pedal also. Go from underneath, the bolt is hard to reach but the whole job only took a half hour. The grey bushings were for the clutch i believe.

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
I had "back yard" fixed a friends clutch pedals once the bracket was already pulled though. I ground down the center pins to match the housing on the pedal and then put steel washers on each side to take all the slack out, it took a few hours to do all of it. I also put some grease to help everything glide better again. That was about ten years ago and he hasn't said anything about there being any play in the pedals since.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I had "back yard" fixed a friends clutch pedals once the bracket was already pulled though. I ground down the center pins to match the housing on the pedal and then put steel washers on each side to take all the slack out, it took a few hours to do all of it. I also put some grease to help everything glide better again. That was about ten years ago and he hasn't said anything about there being any play in the pedals since.

We're not into "Jerry" riggin' or backyard fixing things around here, except to get them home or from A to B for a temp fix. But, that doesn't sound like the cram a piece of radiator hose in there and seal it off with a piece of duct tape secured by a length of bailin' warr. It's a fact, sometimes those auto engineers do put to much thought and enginuity into some things. I know I sure like my manual trans trucks 10x more after new clutch pedal bushings, and shifter gromments. Those are the types of things that wear so gradually, you don't realize they've worn to the point a huge difference can be made. Allbeit, I was hard on my **** racing, so I replaced shifter grommets about once a gear and clutch pedal bushings about every 4-5 years.

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
I agree with you 100% I'm not into "Jerry" rigging either. I basically just made my own parts when I didn't know the correct replacement parts existed. Also when your broke you do what you can, his pedals were so bad (worst I have ever seen) that I ground off maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of inch of that center pin to make everything fit flush again. It was a job to get the washers in place with the pedals and get that center bolt through all of it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I agree with you 100% I'm not into "Jerry" rigging either. I basically just made my own parts when I didn't know the correct replacement parts existed. Also when your broke you do what you can, his pedals were so bad (worst I have ever seen) that I ground off maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of inch of that center pin to make everything fit flush again. It was a job to get the washers in place with the pedals and get that center bolt through all of it.

Sounds like it could have been permanent fix that wouldn't wear out.

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
10 years and still going strong HotRodPC. I did this for my friend when we were 16, those pedals have had a rough life.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I believe it. My point is, sometimes WE, can fix stuff RIGHT, and permanently without just "Jerry" rigging it, and sometimes engineers put to much emphasis and over complicate things then they don't last. And sometimes they do this on purpose. Believe it or not, GM makes much more money on selling parts than they do selling cars. But they continue to sell the cars cuz the need to buy parts would diminish if they didn't.

Same goes for printers these days. Look how cheap printers are. They aren't making jack on the printer cuz they know they've got you by the ass to buy consumables, like ink, toners, drums, fusers etc. That's where they make all their money. The cosumables is where it's at.

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
I'm third generation in the Auto Salvage business and I know exactly what your talking about. Some of the designs are horrible and have only the choice of failing, it's not an if question it's a when question. The cost for new cars is higher than ever but their build quality is cheaper than ever. IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod