How do I get to the clutch pedal bushings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think the bushings in my clutch pedal are completely shot. I can move it side to side quite a bit and it rattles pretty bad.

Anybody here ever changed them out and have any tips on how to get to the top of the clutch pedal? I can barely reach the bolt on the one side and can't get my arm bent the right way to find the nut on the other side. I'm thinking maybe I can get to everything easier if I pull the gauge cluster out?

Attachments

• clutchpedal.jpg
    clutchpedal.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 173

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I did it once, but it was at least 10 years ago. Pretty sure I pulled the pedal assembly, then found out bushings were not available (yet). I do remember a used pedal set from the junkyard was installed.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I guess I've never pulled a pedal assembly before. What all is involved in that?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't remember, it's been too long.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I've got two sets of pedals out. They're hydraulic but the pedals themselves should be the same.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think I'll pull the cluster first and see if I can get to it from there. I'll take pics along the way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you found a place to buy the bushings yet? May as well do the brake pedal too. Let me know. I had fully intended to look into this when I do my trans conversion to the A833 OD 4 speed.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Oooooh this is a great topic! I may have to use your pedals to investigate this HR. :popcorn:

Posted on my iPod 4th Gen using PUNCTUATION.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oooooh this is a great topic! I may have to use your pedals to investigate this HR. :popcorn:

I know it sure makes a difference. I forget exactly how now but I did replace the bushing or sleeve in the 64 GMC cuz of the pedal side to side movement. When racing and side stepping the clutch sometimes to launch, it made a difference to have all the slop out of the pedal. IIRC, in that one, it was just a long sleeve that went around the pedal shaft and then thru the pedal hanging bracket that was part of the steering column bracket that mounted to the firewall. Just not sure now. :shrug: I did have full intentions of replacing bushings for the cluth pedal and brake pedal too if required along with the shifter bushings on the Hurst Shifter.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I know it sure makes a difference. I forget exactly how now but I did replace the bushing or sleeve in the 64 GMC cuz of the pedal side to side movement. When racing and side stepping the clutch sometimes to launch, it made a difference to have all the slop out of the pedal. IIRC, in that one, it was just a long sleeve that went around the pedal shaft and then thru the pedal hanging bracket that was part of the steering column bracket that mounted to the firewall. Just not sure now. :shrug: I did have full intentions of replacing bushings for the cluth pedal and brake pedal too if required along with the shifter bushings on the Hurst Shifter.

:wave: I'm missing the ToMater avatar. :(

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have the hydro pedals also, for some reason I had thought there was a big difference between the two.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Only place I've found so far that sells them is LMC. The side to side movement isn't what bothers me, it's the constant rattling. That'll drive a guy crazy.

From what I can tell by feeling around, I believe Hotrod is correct. It seems like its all tied into the steering column bracket somehow. It's hard to tell without being able to see it.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Yeah, Tow Mater is coming back, prolly sometime today. I just had to be a smart ass for couple days when I seen everyone's Red Equal sign for the Gay "Marriage" debate that should have never been a debate, just like gun control shouldn't have been a debate.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Yeah, Tow Mater is coming back, prolly sometime today. I just had to be a smart ass for couple days when I seen everyone's Red Equal sign for the Gay "Marriage" debate that should have never been a debate, just like gun control shouldn't have been a debate.

I like Tow Mater,I think Tow Mater an My W100 Power Wagon could be good friends.:smokin:

OK,I have a set of bushings in the package,these were for an S10 of the 1994 version.
The part nummer isw 615-1165 I got them from NAPA and I "THINK" they look to be about the righjt size for the Square Bodies,if someone gots a caliper or knows what size the pedal bolt is,here is the ID of approximately 5/8ths and the OD of approximately of 11/16ths.
There are six bushings in a pack,grey and black,the set of black ones looks like a smaller wall thicknes but the black and one set of grey is 1/2 inches in length and the other set of grey ones is just a touch under 11/16ths.
I hope this helps.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I like Tow Mater,I think Tow Mater an My W100 Power Wagon could be good friends.:smokin:

OK,I have a set of bushings in the package,these were for an S10 of the 1994 version.
The part nummer isw 615-1165 I got them from NAPA and I "THINK" they look to be about the righjt size for the Square Bodies,if someone gots a caliper or knows what size the pedal bolt is,here is the ID of approximately 5/8ths and the OD of approximately of 11/16ths.
There are six bushings in a pack,grey and black,the set of black ones looks like a smaller wall thicknes but the black and one set of grey is 1/2 inches in length and the other set of grey ones is just a touch under 11/16ths.
I hope this helps.

EXCUSE ME??? The only thing Tow Mater likes about Dodges, is all the money he makes off of them.

That's cool info on the bushings. If the S10 bushings are different, at least NAPA prolly stocks them for SBs too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag