How do I fix this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
My 87 R10 with a 350 TBI is leaking exhaust where the exhaust tubing connects to the headers. The headers are stock while the rest isn't. It appears the truck was fitted with a LMC turbo muffler true dual kit. The cat has been deleted. How do I stop the exhaust from leaking? It's really about the only thing wrong with the engine and I'm tired of smelling fumes in the cab.

Thanks!

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Theres a donut gasket in there replace it

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Theres a donut gasket in there replace it

I saw that on AutoZone's website. Wasn't sure if that was it or what. I may hold off until I get new longtube headers installed. :shrug

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a set of Headman Elite long tube headers. I found that the Mr Gasket copper gaskets work the best for me. These headers have the ball and flange collectors and are leak free. Just thought I would share this since you are considering headers.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I have a set of Headman Elite long tube headers. I found that the Mr Gasket copper gaskets work the best for me. These headers have the ball and flange collectors and are leak free. Just thought I would share this since you are considering headers.

I know what I want for exhaust: Headman headers from LMC + Flowtech Purple Hornie header-mufflers + tubing. It'll be a while before I can get what I need. Gonna get the donuts for now since winter is approaching and I don't want to pass out from exhaust fumes.

Thanks!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
lmc's prices are way too high, you can get the same stuff from summit or jegs or even elsewhere cheaper, by ALOT.

I run some shorty tbi headers on my 88 and they are the cheap ebay stainless ones with ball ends, matched right up in place of my old manifolds, when they are stock they are called manifolds, and they fit great, no leaks.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Another q, will I need a starter heat shield? I had an '85 with longtube headers and the thing kept burning up starters until I installed a heat shield. It also had a TH350. Uncertain if their is any difference in starter location on a 700R4.

Thanks!

EDIT: Are the stock heads angle plug heads?

Last edited:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea on the heat shield but I've never had a problem with starters. I have a mini starter now but never had a problem with OEM starter either. Since the starter bolts to the block it doesn't matter which tranny is used. I doubt if the heads are angle plug heads unless they have been replaced. Just look at the spark plugs to see if thet stick straight out fron the head.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Last edited:

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, now I really can't wait till this weekend to look at stuff. The extra exhaust noise I hear may not be leaking manifolds. Since the cats have been deleted and the smog pump is still attached and operating, I betcha anything the PO didn't rehook the system correctly. I imagine that the airy noise I hear is the pump pumping air where the cat used to be. :facepalm:

Well, that's a theory anyways. I always hear the extra airy sounds; so, my guess is actually a leaking manifold gasket.

Last edited:

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If they don't do emission tests in Ks. I would delete the smog pump.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If they don't do emission tests in Ks. I would delete the smog pump.

Nope. No testing in KS. I intend to remove once I get all the exhaust components purchased. Is there a good write-up around here on removing the smog pump?

Thanks.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
WOW, $32 for sheet metal with a few bends and two holes? I'd be making my own.

Anyway, I had trouble with the old starter when I went with long tubes. When I swapped for a new starter, all I did was use the wire shield like they sell at autozone. No more problems.

It's more than that. Read the description. It has insulation sandwiched between two metal plates. Can you link the heat shield you used? Thanks.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Should be an easy removal. Your new headers will eliminate any tubing to the manifolds. Just plug any other hoses, preferably where they hook to the intake. It's been a long time since I had a vehicle with a smog pump and my memory is kind of fuzzy to say the least.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117