Hood Latch Repair Patch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
mooooo
You must be registered for see images attach

what area you from? Im by eau claire corner of the mootown

as you can see, my hood was in great rust shape :( The first time I opened it it folded pretty much to a 90 degree angle because one side hood hinge was so worn it binded up while th other worked fine but needed lubrication. Basicall stiff vs loosey goosey, twist, fold.

I was born and raised a bit north of you in Butternut, WI. It's a suburb of Park Falls ;-)

I'm now in Scandia, MN, north of St Paul a pace, close to the WI border. That area looks to be just what i'm looking for. What would you charge to cut a chunk out of it and send it my way?

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
mooooo

what area you from? Im by eau claire corner of the mootown

as you can see, my hood was in great rust shape :( The first time I opened it it folded pretty much to a 90 degree angle because one side hood hinge was so worn it binded up while th other worked fine but needed lubrication. Basicall stiff vs loosey goosey, twist, fold.

(I replied to this earlier but it didn't post for some reason)

I was born and raised in Butternut, WI (don't laugh) which is a suburb of Park Falls (again, don't laugh). I'm now in the thriving metropolis of Scandia, MN (about 4000 people) which is about 40 miles north of st paul, on the border of WI.

What you show looks like it'll do the trick. What would you charge to snip off a chunk and send it to Scandia? Unfortunately, I may find that it'll be more cost effective to just patch up what i've got with some scrap steel. As i've stated before, i'm on a less-than-shoestring budget.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
(I replied to this earlier but it didn't post for some reason)

I was born and raised in Butternut, WI (don't laugh) which is a suburb of Park Falls (again, don't laugh). I'm now in the thriving metropolis of Scandia, MN (about 4000 people) which is about 40 miles north of st paul, on the border of WI.

What you show looks like it'll do the trick. What would you charge to snip off a chunk and send it to Scandia? Unfortunately, I may find that it'll be more cost effective to just patch up what i've got with some scrap steel. As i've stated before, i'm on a less-than-shoestring budget.
I’d rather it not go to waste, the hood is gonna be face up hugging a k25 with constant pressure into the earth for the foreseeable future lol. So I’d rather see it help fix someone else’s. But before price, could you highlight wht dimensions you’d want/have me cut if I do, weight won’t be too Bad I don’t think abs shipping to that area prob won’t be bad because of our proximity ajD that would probably be a hub for the major shippers too lol

do note , the outer part that is seen outside the truck normally is not the same as your truck, it’s close but not the same. If it’s not hard to separate the skin from the part you need the most, it would shed a good chunk of weight on shipping.

so show me your outline you’d prefer. Also note, if you wanted a wider area I could always cut more and cut it short in a nice spot that would be convenient to weld, allowing more good material if you wanted to be all inclusive lol.
If you’re good with a welder I recommend it over the make your own because if you weld in right spots you’ll have the same tolerances as intended so things should line up, not sit funny. In the case of the hood, I feel the pin striking at an odd angle would quickly wear it out and make it annoying to open a fight.

also there is an even lower budget fix than any thing I have.
Hood pins lol

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
There's an even lower budget than hood pins... Bungies! And honestly, that maybe end up being what i'll do. But for now, here's what I think I need cut. I'd only need the interior skin not the exterior painted side. This profile should give me enough margin to cut out the rot and lap weld in the "new" piece. Let me know what you think for cost, shipped to 55047. Thanks!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
ill prob cut off excess toward the front so it can be best ascertained how to best make it fit in ours potentially. I will be able to easily cut that with a nice blade on the angle grinder im guessing its not that thick. Do you want to reuse your pin or would you like a new plate. I am guessing that weighs the most

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
ill prob cut off excess toward the front so it can be best ascertained how to best make it fit in ours potentially. I will be able to easily cut that with a nice blade on the angle grinder im guessing its not that thick. Do you want to reuse your pin or would you like a new plate. I am guessing that weighs the most

I can reuse my plate and hardware. I think they'll buff out ok.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

I was looking at a car mag last night that was talking about the aurora engine being used in the Indy 500 chassis's. That sure must be an amazing engine. Of course the mag was from '96, but that's okay. Do you keep up with the engines development in high end racing? I wonder what GM is using these days?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@AuroraGirl,

I was looking at a car mag last night that was talking about the aurora engine being used in the Indy 500 chassis's. That sure must be an amazing engine. Of course the mag was from '96, but that's okay. Do you keep up with the engines development in high end racing? I wonder what GM is using these days?
no i dont keep up but yes the L47 did do that, Carrol Shelby also used it for his Series 1 roadster

you can buy a crate motor to 300 some hp spec of the L47, although he had a supercharged option on the series 1 but you cant get that :(

there was also a indy 500 pace car

also on the hood thing, whoops forgot, i am going to try and get that cut off today. it rained so the weeds wont be so tall lol and less fire risk or something

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii