Hood Latch Repair Patch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Hi y'all,

The hood latch area on the hood of my '78 is rusted out and not making secure contact with the mechanism on the core support. I thought, FOR SURE, I found a weld-in replacement patch for that area on LMC or Brother's or somewhere. But now I can't find it anywhere. Anybody have an idea of where to find one of those? I don't want to have to replace the whole hood just because that area is messed up.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

which part?

also, I have a junk 1980 OE hood(not the same design dimensions, but same mechanisms) for a grille release latch, the hood is just laying under a 77 frame as a Ski, so If you want I can go to town and get you an OE chunk.

im sure it wont miss it

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size

which part?

also, I have a junk 1980 OE hood(not the same design dimensions, but same mechanisms) for a grille release latch, the hood is just laying under a 77 frame as a Ski, so If you want I can go to town and get you an OE chunk.

im sure it wont miss it

Here's what I have to work with. I see that you're from Northern WI. I was born and raised in northern wi.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
While, I'd personally question that it won't just start rusting through the front of the hood soon as well, what about a junk hood, cut a chunk out?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I might be able to cut a section out of my 78 hood, it's got the normal bend in it and I plan to replace it, just haven't got around to it yet. Don't think mine is rusted, but will check if you are interested.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Here's what I have to work with. I see that you're from Northern WI. I was born and raised in northern wi.

mooooo

what area you from? Im by eau claire corner of the mootown

as you can see, my hood was in great rust shape :( The first time I opened it it folded pretty much to a 90 degree angle because one side hood hinge was so worn it binded up while th other worked fine but needed lubrication. Basicall stiff vs loosey goosey, twist, fold.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
that is actually what he seemed to want to try, and since mine is junk and has the same sheet metal with no rust issues, it may be a good option
While, I'd personally question that it won't just start rusting through the front of the hood soon as well, what about a junk hood, cut a chunk out?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I've got one that the underside looks like that. A lot of the other bracing is swiss cheese too. I had to remove the hood springs so it wouldn't fold while closing and I had to remove the pop-up spring so that the hood could actually latch. It's a real bitch to pop open because of that, lol.

Amazingly, the outer skin is still solid and perfect.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I've got one that the underside looks like that. A lot of the other bracing is swiss cheese too. I had to remove the hood springs so it wouldn't fold while closing and I had to remove the pop-up spring so that the hood could actually latch. It's a real bitch to pop open because of that, lol.

Amazingly, the outer skin is still solid and perfect.
did it have a insulation under it for a long time that was ripped or not secured properly do you know?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
did it have a insulation under it for a long time that was ripped or not secured properly do you know?

I don't remember. I bought the entire front clip from a local guy. It was a low-mile K20 Suburban, but rusty. It was a Silverado model, so it may have had the hood liner and I pitched the remains of it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don't remember. I bought the entire front clip from a local guy. It was a low-mile K20 Suburban, but rusty. It was a Silverado model, so it may have had the hood liner and I pitched the remains of it.
i could see one that was tattered and still attached flopping around, holding moisture between it and the hood

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
its really bad when they infest your ps system, you dont see the damage until it starts making noise and if you dont have to add fluid at all, they have free reign!!!!!!

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size

Yeah there is already a little rust through the front edge. This is just a work-around until I can replace the whole hood. I'm doing this whole thing on a less-than-bootstrap budget so far.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size

It was sitting in the woods for quite a while. I think it probably had leaves and other debris built up, holding moisture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg