High idle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
When I start the truck in the morning and am letting it warm up, it seems to idle really fast until it gets warm and when I blip the throttle it goes to normal idle. I know that this is what it is supposed to do but here is my question, after warm and idle is normal it doesn't want to go into passing gear unless I put it to the floor, and some times it will kick down and sometimes not. But if I'm in high idle and do the same thing when it has barely warmed up it seems to go into passing gear at just about half throttle. Why is this? I adjusted the kick down cable once before and it seemed to help but now it seems to only really kick down right after startup and rarely when driving after it is warm. Any ideas guys?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Vac leak?

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Unless it's in the carb or intake gasket, I'm doubtful, I've replaced all hoses that I could replace, I am going to try and change the detent cable and throttle cable to see if that makes any difference, but I can't understand how it can work one minute and then not the next

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005