high beam rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
The rod that actuates the highbeam switch from the wiper stalk through the steering column is fubared. I tried to bend it and thought I got it. As soon as I started driving the rod must have moved and now it is stuck. I can't get the wiper arm to move at all. I think it is too far gone

I have a 87 V10 with tilt column. Will a rod from a non tilt column work? What years should I look for? Thanks

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
You have to have a rod from a tilt column, I gave one to 89 sub here not to long ago, I never seen a write up on it. You can use a rod from 84-87 truck, and 84-91 Blazer, and Suburban. You will have to take you column almost completely apart to make sure you have it lined up correct.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Thanks for the input. I emailed steering column services last week and they never got back to me. oh well

When you say I have to take the steering column almost completely apart, do you mean much futher than tightening up the bolts in 89S write up? I've taken it apart a couple of times now and can probably do it in my sleep.

I can get a tilt column out of an 85, auto, tilt for 75 bucks. Would that be a good alternative?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Thanks for the input. I emailed steering column services last week and they never got back to me. oh well

When you say I have to take the steering column almost completely apart, do you mean much futher than tightening up the bolts in 89S write up? I've taken it apart a couple of times now and can probably do it in my sleep.

I can get a tilt column out of an 85, auto, tilt for 75 bucks. Would that be a good alternative?

Same column, at that price you need to jump on it.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Cool thanks. I'll call the guy tomm:893Chainsaw-Smilie-

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I bought the column and have been staring at it for a week. When you say I have to take it completely apart, what do you mean. How much further do I have to go than 89S goes in his write up? I feel 100% comfortable up to that point but after that I'm into the unknown. Any tips or advice?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I was able to replace mine without digging deeper into my column than in my write up. You can reach a finger in there above the high beam switch to line it up into the hole. Just keep double checking during assembly to make sure it is still lined up as it is easy to bump and have it come out. Take your time and pay attention and YOU CAN DEW IT. :waytogo:

And don't bend the new one in the process!!! :roflbow: :popcorn:

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Thanks. I'll get it done next week. I need the truck on Sunday. Knowing me I'll break something else.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm lazy and like a floor mounted dimmer. My laziness caused me to screw up the high beam operation, and the same laziness caused me to not fix the column. It was very easy to convert to a floor dimmer which I like better anyway... so that's always an option too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80