Hesitant to crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So not all the time, but a good amount of the time i'll go to start my 83 k10, and i turn the key to the starting position and itll start to turn wicked slow like the batteries nearly dead, and itll hesitate for a second - then itll crank as normal and fire right up.
Voltage at the battery is about 13 according the the voltmeter on the dash, just above it actually.

Hasn't been a real problem, i've just been going along with it that way for a little while now. Just curious as to what would cause this. Could my starter or battery be on the way out? Would like to figure out why its doing this, i have no clue why it would

Thanks!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Change the battery cables.

If the battery cables are more than ten years old, they can corrode internally with no outward sign.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
But first, you might want to check that both ends of both main cables are clean and tight.

That means at the battery posts and also at the engine block/alternator bracket (negative cable) and starter solenoid (positive cable). Also be sure that the landing area for the engine end of the negative cable is bright metal.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
make sure your timing is correct also. highdesertranger

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
another thing your said that your batt voltage is 13 according to your stock gauge. without your engine running this is to high, with your engine running it's to low. your stock gauge is only a guide anyway. check your specific gravity or put a multi meter on your batt or a battery tester. highdesertranger

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
another thing your said that your batt voltage is 13 according to your stock gauge. without your engine running this is to high, with your engine running it's to low. your stock gauge is only a guide anyway. check your specific gravity or put a multi meter on your batt or a battery tester. highdesertranger

12.7-12.8 is about normal, I have seen people charge those optima red tops to 16v. So 13v is possibly, but the liklyness is highly irregular.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85