Help!!! With getting main bearing to roll in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I rolled out my rear main bearing but can't seem to get the new one in. It hits the block. There .010 bearings like the crank was stamped. I don't have a mic but used my calipers to measure the leading edge of the bearing and it measures the same as the old.
I have all main caps loose what are some tricks here.

Only think that comes to mind is to taper that edge against the block so it will start but something tells me that's probably not a good idea:evillol:.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm not sure if loosening every bolt that holds the crank in place will help, (from the balancer to transmission)

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not sure if loosening every bolt that holds the crank in place will help, (from the balancer to transmission)
I have done that. So do you think I need to snug them all back up? They were snug at first and it didn't help. I'm my mind it I thought would allow some tiny, tiny amount of droop. But it seems to not have mattered

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Are you doing them one at the time with all caps slightly loose? Few months ago I did same procedure on my elco. Would just lay oiled half on the journal and it would roll in.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I've done this several times with no problems.... hmm.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you doing them one at the time with all caps slightly loose? Few months ago I did same procedure on my elco. Would just lay oiled half on the journal and it would roll in.
Yes that's what I tried.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes that's what I
I've done this several times with no problems.... hmm.
I have found a fourm where a guy had the same problem, he eventually got it, never said how he got it though.

Maybe my cotter pin that keeps slipping is too small to roll it in effectively?

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you have a standard transmission maybe the input shaft is holding the crank up, if an automatic maybe it's the torque converter/flexplate.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Success!! I even went as far as loosening the flex plate bolts.

I kept looking closely and noticed it was the thrust side of the bearing that was hitting the block. It was the inward side. I have been dinking around for hours with this think. About six blows on a counter weight on the crank with my small dead low and it moved the crank back the thousand of an inch or so that I needed. I was able to start it by hand then roll it in with the cotter pin. I was starting to have visions of having to pull this motor to fix this:oops::rolleyes:

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Ata boy Nate.....whiskey or beer always helps!!! Glad you got it

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Success!! I even went as far as loosening the flex plate bolts.

I kept looking closely and noticed it was the thrust side of the bearing that was hitting the block. It was the inward side. I have been dinking around for hours with this think. About six blows on a counter weight on the crank with my small dead low and it moved the crank back the thousand of an inch or so that I needed. I was able to start it by hand then roll it in with the cotter pin. I was starting to have visions of having to pull this motor to fix this:oops::rolleyes:
This is correct, when most main bearings have wear the thrust bearing is worn as well. Generally a flat blade screw driver or small prybar used to pry between a crankshaft counterweight and the main webbing on the block is all that is needed to move the crank forward enough to get the new bearing in.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is correct, when most main bearings have wear the thrust bearing is worn as well. Generally a flat blade screw driver or small prybar used to pry between a crankshaft counterweight and the main webbing on the block is all that is needed to move the crank forward enough to get the new bearing in.
I tried this but couldn't get the prybar I had in hand in and was also worried about what I was prying against. Good tip , and hope this will help others in future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76