Help with back glass install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm buddies with a glass guy, I just butter him up with spare parts or give him 10 bucks to buy some beer.

Sorry, I'm no help.

A simple "I don't know" woulda sufficed but.... :slap:

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
YEAH!!! where's the write up? where's the write up? where's the write up??

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

well good lord, hell i just got done rebuilding a 700r4 that was in pieces that someone couldnt figure out how to do. I guess I might try to tackle the back glass tommorow. I suppose i will try to take some pictures for all you slackers :roflbow:

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
get the rope wet(i use windex easy clean up) put it around the rubber lip with the tails on the inside. i put the tails on the top in the middle. have someone hold the window in place with light pressure then pull the rope to work the rubber lip in place. might need to help get it started with a screw driver but then it should pull right in.
you can usally set the bottom corners in place pretty easy to start
keep the rope and rubber wet as you pull

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ah man, you'd think with a statement talking about wet, rubbers, lips, tails, rope, pull right it, and pretty easy etc etc that it would be an interesting convo. :shrug:

But yeah, that's pretty much the best explanation so far. Now, I've never used the wet rope trick, but I do remember one being a real bitch before, and it seemed I used vaseline on the rope and inside the seal to try and get the seal more flexible and pliable. Leaving the gasket laying in the direct sun for 15-20 minutes at first might help too.

Last edited:

1tonman

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Ok fellers I am hoping someone here can help me get this back glas switched around. I have a cr lawence dark tint that was in my 79 before it got crushed. I would like to install it in my 85. I had planned on taking it to the glass shop and just leting them do it but they seem to want to charge as much to use MY glass as they do if I was to have them order one. can someone help me out maybe with some pictures?

hey man, dont have any pics, but of you take a griter string, and saw it around the glass, you can cut the old rubber out, and then pull the glass out, and put back with new rubber. but it helps to have someone inside, to help hode the glass

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Some baby oil to go along with what he said or soap would go a lot easier also. You defenitely need two for this job

Easy there. You get his wife in the truck to hold the glass, and some baby oil in the cab, they'd have to run the kids off and get arrested for indecent exposure, lewd acts in public and a host of other charges.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Some baby oil to go along with what he said or soap would go a lot easier also. You defenitely need two for this job

Peanut oil is made from peanuts, vegetable oil is made from vegetables, etc.

What is baby oil made from?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith