Help with a water leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Another quick update: This shop is saying that there may be some rust on the body seam behind the seal which is causing it to not seal properly.

However, I speculate that the Dill hole didn't actually take the seal out when he replaced the glass which shattered upon removal. So I have an appointment set up for this coming Monday to have this shop replace my seal (hopefully without breaking the new windshield, but if it does then not a big deal) while they are replacing the seal if I do infact have rust on that seam I'll get that taken care of this summer when its not raining like crazy.
They shouldn’t break it I seen @fmxr47 pull the windshield out of my 89 in less then 10 minutes. I said take it and he went at it and it was out in no time.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
depends if windshield sealant has been used before. If it's just the glass and gasket, it's painless. If they used sealant, it gets more complicated.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
depends if windshield sealant has been used before. If it's just the glass and gasket, it's painless. If they used sealant, it gets more complicated.
I can see that this one was clean no ******** sealant.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
When I had the roof panels on mine replaced last summer, that's how I got it there and back. Pulled the rear window, and lock strip from the front, drove it over, and popped the front out when I got there. Popped the front back in when I picked it up.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is good news. Even if it does end up breaking they said they would cut me a very good price as they know the entire situation and don't want me paying for a windshield two months in a row.

At this point I'm worried about there being substantial rust in that seam. I don't see any evidence of rust along the seal except for the lower passenger side about 3 inches from the corner, there is a 4 inch spot. They squished the seal top of the drivers side pillar and said they heard a "crunching sound" which they said was rust. In my mind its more likely broken glass chunks or just old paint. But could be rust. even though the entire rest of the truck is very clean and rust free.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
On anything that has had a windshield glued in with adhesive, rust is fairly common on windshield flanges. When the old glass gets cut out, it's not uncommon for the paint to get gouged with the knife. then, once the new glass is in the rust grows hidden and unchecked until it pops out, or the glass is replaced again.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My truck that I put @Honky Kong jr’s windshield in was rusted bad in the flange area, I had wholes in it and it was all glued in, had it out and un broken in about 4 minutes, installing it on the other hand without any cable or anything was time consuming and seemed risky but I got it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I require resolution to the story and WHY IN GOD'S NAME aren't there PICKS?

AND why has no-one axed that question already? It's like I don't even know you, maannn!

Omg Post the outcome already the suspense is killing me!

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haha. Alright so yesterday they pulled the seal, and showed me what I had under there. a bit of surface rust all around the seam with some holes in the bottom less then the size of a dime. This glass shop actually knocked all the rust off, filled in the holes, primed the bare metal then replaced the seal and windshield (other one broke upon removal due to sealer) Plus all of that only cost me $290.

So far everything is looking great. Haven't had any rain yet to see if the leak is gone and figured I would wait a few days to make sure everything is dry before the garden hose treatment. But its looking promising.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Haha. Alright so yesterday they pulled the seal, and showed me what I had under there. a bit of surface rust all around the seam with some holes in the bottom less then the size of a dime. This glass shop actually knocked all the rust off, filled in the holes, primed the bare metal then replaced the seal and windshield (other one broke upon removal due to sealer) Plus all of that only cost me $290.

So far everything is looking great. Haven't had any rain yet to see if the leak is gone and figured I would wait a few days to make sure everything is dry before the garden hose treatment. But its looking promising.

Sounds like you found a good shop. I would expect your water leak to be a memory at this point.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think so as well. If anyone in Oregon needs a windshield in the future Speedy Glass located at 1085 13th Street SE Salem, OR 97302 is fantastic.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think so as well. If anyone in Oregon needs a windshield in the future Speedy Glass located at 1085 13th Street SE Salem, OR 97302 is fantastic.
Huh??? Oh. Jefferson.... Lol. I've heard good things about that place. Nice to know they were true. The Chevron across the street has awesome burritos too....

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
On anything that has had a windshield glued in with adhesive, rust is fairly common on windshield flanges. When the old glass gets cut out, it's not uncommon for the paint to get gouged with the knife. then, once the new glass is in the rust grows hidden and unchecked until it pops out, or the glass is replaced again.

That's Goldurn funny - I just posted this on another forum earlier today.

Just another opinion on this issue:

Apparently Saab used an adhesive to - what effectively amounts to - glue the windshield glass to the sheet metal of the frame. See the bold/italicized text below. The TSB has nothing to do with why that particular area seems to be more prone to rusting than other places, but it may offer a clue to the cause.

Anyway, I have always kind of been of the thinking that; when/if the OEM glass ever does get replaced, the installer likely removes the factory adhesive mechanically (i.e. with a scraper or a stiff wire brush). Using that method damages the paint and leaves the underlying steel unprotected.

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clear stain or film on the inside of the windshield glass. This condition appears along the outer edges of the glass along the top, bottom or A-pillar areas. Normal glass cleaning procedures will not remove the stain.

Cause
The assembly plant uses a clear sealer/primer on the outer edge of the windshield glass to improve adhesion to the urethane adhesive that bonds the windshield glass to the vehicle body. Excess sealer/primer may drip or flow onto the windshield and cause a stain. Once the sealer/primer dries, it may appear to have etched the glass.

Correction
Note
A "white" type of toothpaste is recommended for this repair. Gel-type toothpaste may provide less satisfactory results.
Use a small amount of toothpaste on a soft, cotton cloth to polish the stained area. It may be necessary to wrap the cloth around a paint stir stick or a similar tool to reach the lower corners of the windshield glass.
After polishing the glass, clean the inside of the windshield glass with a clean, damp, cotton cloth and verify all of the stain is removed. Do not use any cleaners or solvents - use only clean warm water.

You must be registered for see images attach

Depressing huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia