Help me out please starting issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
Will do thank you very much

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
so cranked for about 20 seconds and got this I’m beginning to think it’s a fuel pump issue

Attachments

• 95BB7E66-CC25-4DB6-B4D2-5E153120C9FE.jpeg
    95BB7E66-CC25-4DB6-B4D2-5E153120C9FE.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 62

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
so cranked for about 20 seconds and got this I’m beginning to think it’s a fuel pump issue
So.... standard SBC mechanical pump should free flow approximately 40GPH

1 Gallon = 128 fluid oz
40GPH = 5120 oz per hour
1 hour = 3600 seconds
Therefore a stock SBC fuel pump should flow ~1.42 oz per second

That means that if you cranked it for 20 seconds you should have an almost full 32 oz bottle there.

You look to have about 4 ounces in there... which is DEFINITELY a problem.

Start at the beginning. Are you 1000% sure you have fuel in the tank?

If the answer is yes, when was the last time the pump was replaced?

If its been a while, pull the pump and crank the motor while holding the pushrod against the cam. You could have a wiped fuel pump cam lobe.

You should also go look at all of the rubber lines between the pump and tank. If you haven't replaced them, they might be cracked and sucking air.

Last thing would be potentially crud build up in the tank causing the pickup sock to get clogged. Its fairly easy to drop a mostly empty saddle tank and replace the sock and rubber lines while you are at it. When I bought my truck it hadn't run in 15 years, so I didn't bother to try and start it before I just replaced all rubber including dropping both tanks, replacing senders and socks, all rubber lines, fuel pump, and rebuilt the carb.

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
well In my resto both tanks were throughly cleaned new gas last week added all new rubber lines and fittings, all good so I’ve only owned it 1 year and have no idea if the fuel pump was ever replaced. I’ll do what you suggested with the cam but I’m leaning fuel pump and for 25 bucks since I’ll have it off why not replace it anyway. Literally everything on this truck has been replaced.

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
any suggestions for an exhaust system the manifold’s are bare at this point. Needs to be inexpensive my wife is about to kill me.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
While you may need a fuel pump and replacing an old one of unknown age/miles is probably a good idea, you can gravity feed the carb and verify if it runs which would diagnose a bad pump for sure.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
No, the dizzy when I dropped it in I removed the valve cover and rotated by hand till #1 was on its proper stroke then it dropped right in. Yes the plugs were super wet so I replaced them and let the plug holes dry out over night. It will crank properly good sound, it did backfire once but I think that was from trying starter fluid
Firing order

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Was firing order got it sorted out thanks
Thanks for the follow up on the solution.

Its amazing how these engines will run with wrong firing order, or even entire cylinders not firing.

I just bought a 67 Buick Riviera a couple weeks ago and in the process of testing and getting it running, I installed all new plugs after a compression test showed the engine was mechanically sound. Then I jumped the ignition wiring to the battery and cranked it to see if it would try to fire. It fired right up and ran pretty good! I was pretty underwhelmed by how it sounded and the throttle response though for a 455. After I shut it off and walked around the car, I realized that all 4 passenger side spark plug wires were across the fender and not hooked up AT ALL. So apparently a Buick 455 will run on only one bank of cylinders:shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed82k20