HELP 79 gmc 454/sm465/205 clutch problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryankirsch

Reaction score
First Name
bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
im pretty much ready to get rid of the manual and go with auto, i just recently put in a new motor (454) it had a 454 in it but spun a cam bearing. i got it all put back together with the old clutch (looked and works good b4) got it all back together and it would not go into gear. took it back apart and decided to go with a new clutch kit. put it all back together and still the clutch will not disingage, went underneith and noticed the clutch fork was loose and had popped off the pivot ball, no big deal i thought so i pulled it back apart and bought a new fork, and pivot ball. put it all back together and still will not disingage, every time i have put it back together whenever i push the clutch it mades a rattling noise in the bellhousing. so i pulled it back apart, noticed that the clutch disc was stuck in the pressude plate a little on one edge. so i took it back apart took everything off and aligned everything and it fit in perfect. everything it new in there except the flywheel (nothing wrong with it before) still will not disingage and make a rattling noise when i step on the clutch. i borrowed a scope and looked inside the bellhousing and the throwout is hitting the diaphram perfectly and pushing it all the way in. the only thing i can think of if maybe the pressure plate bolts are to long? it has hex head bolts with no collar and lock washers, the old clutch i took out was a borg and beck type and new one is raised diaphram. the pressude plate housing is thicker on the borg and bsck style then on the diaphram style coult it be as simple as that?

bryankirsch

Reaction score
First Name
bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Just to be clear. The truck shifted great b4. It will go into gear with the t case in neutral. But not any gear when in 2hi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
im pretty much ready to get rid of the manual and go with auto, i just recently put in a new motor (454) it had a 454 in it but spun a cam bearing. i got it all put back together with the old clutch (looked and works good b4) got it all back together and it would not go into gear. took it back apart and decided to go with a new clutch kit. put it all back together and still the clutch will not disingage, went underneith and noticed the clutch fork was loose and had popped off the pivot ball, no big deal i thought so i pulled it back apart and bought a new fork, and pivot ball. put it all back together and still will not disingage, every time i have put it back together whenever i push the clutch it mades a rattling noise in the bellhousing. so i pulled it back apart, noticed that the clutch disc was stuck in the pressude plate a little on one edge. so i took it back apart took everything off and aligned everything and it fit in perfect. everything it new in there except the flywheel (nothing wrong with it before) still will not disingage and make a rattling noise when i step on the clutch. i borrowed a scope and looked inside the bellhousing and the throwout is hitting the diaphram perfectly and pushing it all the way in. the only thing i can think of if maybe the pressure plate bolts are to long? it has hex head bolts with no collar and lock washers, the old clutch i took out was a borg and beck type and new one is raised diaphram. the pressude plate housing is thicker on the borg and bsck style then on the diaphram style coult it be as simple as that?

From that explanation I would look at the bolt length, might sound simple but it's a simple fix too. Spend a few dollars on the correct bolts and see if that changes anything. Hell you've already spent a bit on a new clutch and all. Couldn't hurt to try in my opinion.

Sent from somewhere in Northern Illinois!

bryankirsch

Reaction score
First Name
bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Ordered new bolts and new flywheel today along with new flywheel bolts hopefully that's what it is

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
I just did my clutch same set up only problem I had was oil seals... pullin it out that many times man thats harsh hope the new bolts and fly wheel do the trick.

bryankirsch

Reaction score
First Name
bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Yea hopefully I took a break from it this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads