HELP!!!, 1986 wiper/turn signal lever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mlamons

Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm having some issues on installing a wiper/turn signal lever on an 86 gmc, with out cruise control. I pulled the old own out easy as can be, but now the new one won't go in all the way, it's like there is something blocking it. I even tried putting the old lever back in and same thing it will not go in all the way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 106

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
It should pop back in. It looks like you have a gap between the chrome piece and the black part. I would take it back off and get those two pieces flush with each other and try installing it again. I replaced mine and it popped right in, now the wiring that's a different story.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There is a little trick but it isn't hard.

Locate the slot in the inner metal part of the switch, line it up with the forward facing slot in the plastic part of the switch:

You must be registered for see images attach

when they are in line, gently push the tab on the metal rod into the slot - but just a bit at first. Leave it loose while you line up the tabs on the outer plastic part with their slots in the plastic casing of the switch:

Next, get the slot (the one that kind of faces forward) in line with the tab/slot in the inner part of the switch:

The slots that they engage are elongated so you can rotate the plastic casing a bit. Those are like that to allow the pulse wiper setting to be adjusted:

Once the tangs on the plastic casing are in line with their slots, give another little push in - but don't pop it home yet. You should be looking like this:

A final check that everything is lined up:

and then pop it home with the palm of your hand:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87ScottW